Getting Ready to Tow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.grimmperformance.com
This next weekend we are moving from Colorado to Alabama. I know it is the wrong direction, but economic needs come first! Anyway, most of our stuff is going in a moving van, but I will be towing a 5x8 trailer with the things movers won't take or I won't let them take! What I am looking for is if there is anything I should do to prepare the LC or do after the trip. I have never towed with the Cruiser before. I have installed a class III hitch, so that won't be an issue.

This is a small trailer, and it shouldn't have anything that heavy in it, but I must admit, this is one time when I miss my diesel Excursion. I have towed 10,000 plus behind it.

Sorry that you have to move in the wrong direction. I recently moved from Florida to Tennessee and towed a U-Haul 6x10 trailer filled to the hilt with my LC - no problem at all.

Just make sure you get a draw bar (thing that slides into the hitch) with enough rise so that once you LOAD the trailer, it is still high enough not to drag the chains on the street. I emphasize "load" because the height might look fine with an empty trailer and be much to low once you start packing your stuff.

Good luck.

the cruiser will likely do it easily if it's not ungodly heavy. Just watch out for the usual stability issues.

Last edited:
Towing usually isn't the problem. It's stopping where the problem arises. Inspect your brake pads, brake fluids, and use the safety chains and brake cable on the trailer. Drive reasonable and have a safe trip.

Take this time to get up to date on your PM if you need to. Tranny, diffs, t-case, radiator, oil chang, PS, Brake fluid and so on.

If you are renting a U-Haul make certain to inspect the rental trailer in detail. I usually buy a small trailer. They want like $300-$400 for a rental, I just buy a nice used one then sell it once I get to where I'm going.

Check with your ins about coverage of all your stuff while towing as well. Usually, you are covered as long as it's attached to your truck. When not, say at a hotel parking lot while you go to dinner and it get's stolen you are out of luck (I say this from sad past experiance).:mad:

Thanks for all of the input. I will tow with confidence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom