Getting ready to build a FJ Will FJ axles and non us ff rear hold up to 44s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok i am revamping my post here ok i have a 69 FJ40 with
350,th400,3spdcase ff rear and matching front cable lockers
a ok body but frame has been rewelding in 4 places
Really bad 5 inch rearched springs and 35inch boggers

i want to build somthing to take out hunting and wheelin here in alaska
i have been looking at geting a new frame
http://www.matkinsextreme.com/FJ40's/FJ40's.htm
Stage 3
and alum tub so i do not have to worry about rust in 5 years

I can keep my current tub
but frame and springs must go what do you all think i should do
i want to run 38inch or bigger tires

Would like to keep my current axles am willing to upgrade to the longfeilds and beefer rear shafts

Thanks
Nigel

Last edited:
the general consensus is that the stock 'Cruiser axles will hold up to a 37-38" tire.

Going to 44's you should just get a Dana 60 front, and a 14 bolt rear, especially with the 350.

Land Cruiser axles aren't going to cut it for tires that big, coupled with the power of the 350, and the torque multiplication of an Orion.

Youd be better off getting a Dana 300 or Atlas2 in the t-case department.
Dana 60 front with superior axles, and a rear GM 14 bolt or FF dana 60.

5.29's should be fine.

i'd want to put those 5.29's in the axles unless your worried about the gearing being cut to deep and causing a week ring gear and having a smaller pinion.

heavy duty frame? elaborate on that one...

i seriously doubt your stock axles full floater or not will hold up to 44's unless your just mall wheeling

4 inch springs sprung over is going to be ridiculuos looking and your center of gravity is going to be comparable to the eiffel tower's

you talk of an aluminum body and a front fiberclose nose clip... I wouldn't do that i'd do a regular spring over, cut the front fenders out and cut the s*** out of the rear fenders to fit. but investing in an aluminum body then cutting it all up is somewhat a waste of money spent... but if you got the money to throw up, do it....

i'd say your ideas need some revamping but thats just me....

ok then

Please recheck first post i revamped it

Last edited:
well slow down think about the build, do a s*** load of research (which takes time) and build the truck right.....

Do you wanna keep the cruiser axles or not? (D60's & 14 bolt is next)

if keeping the cruiser axles you need to sink a grand or so into them to run 44's.. pig rears and 31 spline longs in the front. get a front end rebuild as well and you'll be good...

but 4" lift springs sprung over is fawking retarded....

what are you planning on doing with this? mud boggin or rock crawling?

Poser runs 4inch lift springs sprung under on 38.5's i think

i'd run stock cruiser springs and flip them front and rear

do a rear disc brake conversion

front discs if you don't have them

drive flanges or asian hubs

saginaw

chevy 350 with an auto tranny of your choice or an sm420

arbs front and rear

and you might run into some issues running a 350 with 44" boggers through the 3spd t-case.. getting chromo rears is just going to move your week point further towards the transfer case and the 3spd t-case has had a history of blowing up behind 350's, throw a transfer case saver (ala poser) and build a decent belly pan to protect it and you'll be better off... the real deal would be getting a split case of getting a d300 building it up as i've heard they have a 4:1 gears for them (woody runs a d300) but in the end its up to you...

if you can fabricate new spring hangers (out board your springs) go for the D60's or 14 bolt.

but its just my one opinion ... take it or leave it...

Last edited:
Oke thanx again fo rhte help

this is goignto be a full winter build about 7 months or so

Last edited:
research research research, check out what has been done, right and the wrong way. Search the old threads they will keep you busy. Chances are if it has been done and is a worthy setup you will find it's popular with the right niche group. If no one is runnin that combo it's probably not worth doing.
There is rarely a need to reinvent the wheel. just fine tune it!

have a 70 40 with 38 hogs 2f soa lockers 4 spd and 3spd case stock axles have had it like this for many years only broke 1 birf towing a dozer 79 axles 4 wheel discs been through mud water rocks hill climbs and it works good also have 64 with soa and 6x6 springs ww2 6x6 axles truck is high but real stable run 1200 x20 military tires for general use about 50" tall for serious mud we run tractor tires from a russian tractorabout 48 " tall at our club we have a deep swamp run and this is the only tuck in 26 years to make it through build it how you want but do it right swamp truck is 8and 1/2 feet tall drives and handles well on road good luck

shelfboy1 said:
have a 70 40 with 38 hogs 2f soa lockers 4 spd and 3spd case stock axles have had it like this for many years only broke 1 birf towing a dozer 79 axles 4 wheel discs been through mud water rocks hill climbs and it works good also have 64 with soa and 6x6 springs ww2 6x6 axles truck is high but real stable run 1200 x20 military tires for general use about 50" tall for serious mud we run tractor tires from a russian tractorabout 48 " tall at our club we have a deep swamp run and this is the only tuck in 26 years to make it through build it how you want but do it right swamp truck is 8and 1/2 feet tall drives and handles well on road good luck

I think I speak for everyone on this board....

we gotta see pictures of this!!

cruiser axles will hold up to 40s with cromo longs, fine spline rear pinion and pig rear shafts no problem, especially up in Alaska where everything is mud

Last edited:
I Have two friends running 40s on Chromos on stock axles. Both beat on the trucks hard on the rocks...They run into other problem then broken Birfs and shafts...It can be done.

sorry for the butt in here i geuss its time will join this weekend so i can post pics of some of our cruisers have enjoyed eveyone elses for a while so i geuss its payback time im slow to learn so give me a few day thanks

lowtideride said:
I Have two friends running 40s on Chromos on stock axles. Both beat on the trucks hard on the rocks...They run into other problem then broken Birfs and shafts...It can be done.

I think there is a huge difference when you go from 40" to 44" tires. I think the limiting factor, if you use LC axles, would be the pinion, knuckles, and tcase. I would go upgrade to D60 axles and 14 bolt or D70 rear. The LC axles "may" work with some CrMo parts, but I don't think they'll hold up if you hammer it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom