Getting Ready for PHH: Coolant? Other Hoses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lancerushing.com
I'm planning on changing the PHH hose this weekend (or next). (Had the truck for a month, 133k miles, good dealer service records. I *could* take it to the dealer, but what fun is that?)

Thinking on ordering from http://www.1fzfephh.com/ the silicone hose. (Yay or Nay?)

Also I read: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=1387167

Couple of questions:

1) Since I'll have the coolant drained, anything else I should consider replacing? (hoses, thermostat?)

2) Which Coolant? Consensus still Toyota Red?

3) How many gallons of distilled is predicted for each flush?

A search will reveal most of this, but I'd replace your starter contacts and fuel filter while you are in there. There is no consensus on red or green coolant--just don't mix the two. May as well do the thermostat while you are there, it is cheap and easy.

Good luck and take pics....

Last edited:
I'd replace your fuel pump while you are in there.
Good luck and take pics....
Do you mean fuel filter? I'm pretty close to doing all my hoses. I figure if I'm going to the trouble of draining the coolant, I may as well do them all. I got about ten new hoses from Dan about two weeks ago:D . I did three little ones this weekend since I had my throttle body off.

To Q1, add some Redline water-wetter when you refill. Always done mine that way, runs cooler in critical temps, especially if it's blown, but even if it's not. If you're in a warm clime, put coolant / water mix at about 20/80. If it freezes, 50/50 is still best. Toyota red is my preference, but I'm funny that way. Dan.

Do you mean fuel filter? I'm pretty close to doing all my hoses. I figure if I'm going to the trouble of draining the coolant, I may as well do them all. I got about ten new hoses from Dan about two weeks ago:D . I did three little ones this weekend since I had my throttle body off.

Yep, thanks for pointing that out.:cheers:

Im going to do my hoses this weekend also and have recvd about 11 hoses for the job from cdan. I am refilling with 2 gal. of Toyota red and topping with about 2 gal. of distilled water. I forgot to order a thermostat but will pu 1 before the job. IMHO I would replace all hoses especially if they are the factory origianals:cheers:

A few added suggestions.

1. Ear plugs for the princess and kids ears.

2. Bandages.

3. Solid but soft object to kick so you don't use the dog, or hurt your foot.

Jay

There was no swearing in the world the day after I did this job, as I had used them all up.:rolleyes:

Overall, though, it wasn't that bad. Get over the denial and remove the wheel,shock, skirt, and dipstick tube before you even try and see the nipple on the head. I thought about removing the starter-this would be a good time to do the contacts if they need it.

I checked the existing fluid, hoses, and reviewed the PO's service print out. After I purchased the LC, I stopped by the dealer (Toyota of Escondido) and they gave me a print out of every service visit. The PO was religious about having the dealer do the maintenance.

The fluid looks GREAT. Nice pretty (clear-ish) red color. Also the PO had a "30k 4x4" service done at the dealer on the dot at 120192 miles. Currently the LC is at 134k. Hate to waste all that perfectly good fluid.

Also most of the upper hoses look fresh. Looks like the dealer changed a few (most?) at 90k (along with fresh belts).

I did manage to squeeze up into the fender and get a look at the back side of the PHH. It does look a little nasty.

Can the PHH be changed w/o draining the whole system? (maybe tilt the truck just to the right?)

You could change it and not drain, but you'll still loose at lease 1/3 of it. Don't let a bit of antifreeze keep you from doing the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom