Getting Parts 60 onto trailer ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am buying whats left of Todd's FJ60 since he is moving out of town early next week. It is sitting next to his house frontend facing the street, and has no axles underneath it, and no rear springs (fronts are still on) but the rest of the drivetrain (engine/trans/xfer) are in it. I will be loading it onto a 18' flatbed utility/ carhauler trailer, and towing it to my parents house (about 65 miles) with my Dad's Power Stroke.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get it onto the trailer without tearing up the trailer, or Todd's yard, here are a few options I can think of:

- Get the front end up onto the trailer with a hi-lift or cherry picker, then use a come-along (or figure out a way to bolt down my warn m8k to the trailer) to drag it the rest of the way on on some plywood skids

- Hire a wrecker towtruck to pull it up onto his flatbed, the push it off onto the trailer (this way the front of the 60 will be facing the back of the trailer to i can pull the drivetrain with it on the trailer)

I probably have to figure out some way to block the frame up a little so the transfer case doesnt get damaged, and this is going to complicate things further.....

Any ideas?

Go to harbor freight and get those garage dollies that normally would go under the tires. get the front lifted up, get trailer under it set 60 on dollies. repeat in the rear.

Can you pull it onto the flatbed using the Egyptian Roll? Rolling it on logs, transfering the back log to the front, etc.

Any substantial trees overhead?

Rig up the winch and a snatch block to lift it up, slide trailer underneath, lower truck onto trailer?

Rent a lull and pick it up and put it on the trailer?

Jack up the truck, slide a full sheet of plywood underneath to act as a sled(If one sheet is not long enough, use two and lap them so the second sheet won't dig into the ground), then winch the plywood onto the trailer? Plywood would act as a sled/wear material to prevent damage to yard/trailer.

We need a pic of the situation so we can give better suggestions :D

Ary

I'm voting for the Harbor freight moving dollies route. You can always jack, roll, jack, remove.

That's what I would do :flipoff2:

Thanks for the input

OK I am charging my camera so i can take some pictures this afternoon.

There aren't any substantial trees overhead, it is in a space in between his garage and the property line, with roughly 4-5' on either side of the vehicle

I like the dolly idea, I am going to head over to HF and see what they have to get a better idea, I am worried about just sliding it onto the trailer on the frame-rails because I am pretty sure the T-case hangs down a couple inches and would get damaged, I think I might toss some 4x4's or railroad ties underneath the frame rails when I chain it down to the trailer.

I just stopped by HF, they have 1k lb capacity dollies, not sure if that would be strong enough or not?

I bet you'll be fine with those dollies....what's the worst that can happen if they get over-rated? it might sag an inch and not move...

know anyone with a spare axle or two? you could temporarily rig up the axle underneath - it could even be non-steer axles...

bk

Toyoland66 said:
I just stopped by HF, they have 1k lb capacity dollies, not sure if that would be strong enough or not?

I'm betting that 2 in the front and 2 in the back you won't go over the 1000# rating ;)

Here's what I did once. May not be the best way but it worked.

FJ60 frame and body only, no axles etc. I set a pair of 2x4's in the spring hanger holes and bolted them in with long lag bolts. With jack stands supporting the frame at the front and rear I elevated the frame to just above trailer height. The frame and body were then winched onto the trailer, using the 2x4's as skids. The trailer floor was wood and after the Cruiser was on blocks were nailed down to prevent side to side movement.

Get some old ATF or 90WT and pour it on the trailer to make everything slide better. Not to mention it will prevent rust! :p

How much does it cost to hire a boom truck (small crane) in your area? If the body is in very good shape and you want it to remain in good shape it might be worth it, as the other methods might have some risk of the lower panels getting beat on while dragging it up the trailer.

You can use another vehicle with a chain attached to provide the pulling force instead of a winch to drag it up. I have done this several times, but always had axles/tires/steering available. If you can jackknife the trailer into position then you might have a straight pull with the other rig.

Good luck!

If you have the coin hiring a rollback to drag it out of the yard and slide it onto your trailer is the best option IMHO.

If you wanna do it yourself I'd pull the front springs (they'll hang you up at the worst times...BTDT). Pick up a couple long 4x4 or 6x6 timbers. Drill a few holes in them parallel to the bottom of the frame. Lift the body enough to strap the timbers to the bottom of the framerails for skids. Support the frame under the trans crossmember with jack stands. Back the trailer under the front of the truck. Try and put some 2x4 and 4x4 "ramps" under the rear wheels of the towrig to raise the tongue of the trailer. Local the ramps so the trailer ends up under the Cruiser when on top of the ramps. Pull the Cruiser onto the trailer with a winch or come-along or what ever you have. Once most of the Cruiser is on the trailer you could pull off the ramps and pull the Cruiser on the rest of the way.

Good luck and BE CAREFUL!

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom