Getting Old over Christmas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't need all that. Well pump yes, but don't need the rest. I can get 11Kw for half that price. I don't know where that
particular genset came from, but that guy paid too much to offer something up with no specs.
Not saying you need it all, just get something with 240 with a neutral so you can run what's needed and keep "the significant other" happy with hot water. You can get all the cute 110volt gensets and extension cords you want, but without something with 240v you're very limited.

Natural Gas I assume?

Not much of that around here...also tends to get shut off in earthquakes, and we're kinda due for one of those. The rest of the "ring of fire" has been getting a bit sporty lately.

I have a cistern with a thousand plus gallons of water, hooking it up to even a 12v pump I could pressurize the house through a hose bib, and at least have flushing toilets...hot water still a problem but, doable.

I might install something like this and wire it to a dedicated plug. 1 near the pellet stove in the suite, and 1 on the house. Save running an extension cord. https://www.amazon.ca/Conntek-15-Am...=1546876033&sr=8-4&keywords=block+heater+plug

Last edited:
Yeah, the irony of giant LNG tank on the Mt Hayes that YOU CAN SEE FROM SPACE, without any public consultation
re: next earthquake . Yet LNG not available in our neighbourhood, despite all the pipelines.
My only 240V requirement would be the well pump for the cisterns. Pellet stoves have electric feeds do they not?
We heat with airtight wood, still haven't burned a cord yet this winter.
Otherwise it's just Glamping for us and really not put out.
Shaw is still cleaning up their end of this mess, coming out on Thursday I hope. If anyone has $14K there is
an Ingersoll Rand trailer generator for sale in Vancouver Craiglist, could probably run Ladysmith Light-Up. A buddy
sent me the link, not being helpful.

Yeah I have a woodstove as well.

Woodstoves are a pain in the ass year round, and then everyone crows about how wonderful they are when the power goes out. Doubt it'll be too long before they're too expensive to insure or banned outright. At the hospital in duncan whenever its cold and cloudy the complaints start rolling in about the smell of smoke, as if there's something I could do about it.
They're already making noises about having to have your chimney "professionally"swept twice a year. I'm sure more anal wett testing will follow.

Mel loves the woodstove, I wouldn't miss it in the slightest.

The suite is only heated by pellet, but it doesn't require much power , it'd easily run off the small genny. There's actually battery backup ones out there , and even a model that doesn't need power at all. Has some sort of gravity feed.

Would something like this be a good purchase? Yanmar diesel ydg 2700 ev. I know the guy selling it, he says it runs well. $325 firm. Seems pretty inexpensive!

FB_IMG_1547439127705.jpg

Yeah, that is 2700 watts? I'll send you a pm. I've got the Yamaha's. Can he indicate
what kind of db's that has? Is it muffled? I'm home pdq I think.

Yanmar is good. 2700 watts isn't much but it would keep the essentials going except doesn't have 240v by the looks of it.

Would something like this be a good purchase? Yanmar diesel ydg 2700 ev. I know the guy selling it, he says it runs well. $325 firm. Seems pretty inexpensive!

View attachment 1878741
Price isn't bad but the noise from those units will drive you nutty if it's within a 1/2 a k. If your considering it get it flashed up first so you can hear it run. They also don't start very well in the cold we get up here, might be OK in your part of the province.

Price isn't bad but the noise from those units will drive you nutty if it's within a 1/2 a k. If your considering it get it flashed up first so you can hear it run. They also don't start very well in the cold we get up here, might be OK in your part of the province.

I know about the noise too. I've got dueling Yamaha's that run at 52 dbs. My phone rings louder than that.
But Yanmar is the one for dedicated generator motors. I'm home in a few days, take a look at it then

I know about the noise too. I've got dueling Yamaha's that run at 52 dbs. My phone rings louder than that.
But Yanmar is the one for dedicated generator motors. I'm home in a few days, take a look at it then
Stuff in 3 pairs of ear plugs and you'll be good to go :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom