Getting new tires SOA FJ-60 want opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to buy new meats for my FJ-60. I do alot of on road driving. I do about 4 hardcore trips a year offroad. I probably will drive about 10,000 miles a year total. I'm torn between which one of the two tires I've decided on in a 35x12.50x15.

TRXUS SWAMPER has more plies and will probably last a little longer. Offroad ability (I'm not sure but it looks fairly aggressive). Overall diameter is a little bigger than the Goodyear.

Goodyear MTR good on and off road. Questionable treadwear. Good puncture resistance.

Prices for me are very close. Thanks Troy in Tahoe

ive got a set of truxuss mt's on my 80, so far im liking them have had them for a couple months now and putting about three hundred miles a week on them.

Theyve done well in the snow and ice, only thing I wish is they were taller and wider as Ive got the 31x10.50's.

Theyre a little loud, but the yakima rack I put on now drowns them out. :beer:

A buddy runs 289/75/16 Trxus MT's on his F150 pickup. Very nice offroad, about the same as my TSL Radials, however I am worried that his Trxus's will wear faster than even my TSL's. They do come with siping, which is a definate plus for winter and wet weather driving. Can't say for puncture resistance.
I'd also consider TSL Radials.
I don't like MT/Rs. Thats mostly because of the kind of wheeling I do. They suck in mud, and well, we have more mud than rock in GA.
Where are you wheeling? and on what surface?

I have the trxus 255/85R16 on my diesel chev crew cab and have about 15000miles on them. I love them for traction, mudding, wet pavement and the snow. The siping is key, IMO. They out perform the bfg MTs I have on my FJ40 of exactly the same size, by a long shot!!!

They are noisy (compared to my bfg ATs) and I had a hard time balancing mine. My chev is to heavy for them.

I am switching back to the ATs on my Chev, moving the trxus to the Cruiser and I will be purchasing another set of trxus, 34x12.5, for my HJ61

Overall I am very pleased with them.

[quote author=troyintahoe link=board=1;threadid=8589;start=msg73182#msg73182 date=1070944897]
...... I do alot of on road driving......
[/quote]

i think you answered your own question right here ... NO swamper will EVER ride as good and a radial m/t BFG or Goodyear .... P.S. i run radial swamper(80% offroad) wish i had MTR's ALL swampers walk it doesnt matter which ones you get they're still swampers ... just my .02ct

cheers joel

disclamer: i'm not saying swampers suck hell i run them on my truck BUT the MTR'S are way better for dual use trucks

I have absolutely no highway or around town driving issues with my radial TSLs. They track straight, aren't noisy, not a SINGLE issue or complaint. If it wasn't for wear issues (Havent had them long enough to tell) i wouldn't hesistate to run them on any truck regardless of how much road they see.

35x12.5x15 Truxus on my 4" lift FJ40
285x75x16 (33") Truxus on my 93 FZJ80
pic: http://65.40.131.223/fj40-80%20stuff.htm

FJ40: No experience on the Highway with the 40 but the tires are quiet at 60 mph. I ballanced them with Equal and so far so good. don't wander too much for a 35x12.5.

FZJ80: love them! They were a pain to weight ballance, and I had one bust a belt on me after 50 odd miles :mad: They are a little more squirmy on the highway at 80 mph than the factory Michelins, but not bad. Noise is not bad either, a little more than my dad's 60 on 31" BFG AT's.

Both are majic in the snow! I just got out in our recent 6" snowstorm in the 40, and found that I really had to work to get the tires spinning.

Clean well in mud

Have had the 80 in the rocks at Paragon, and they did excellent! They smear amazingly well, and make up for some of the 'agressiveness' of 'real' swampers tread that way.

wear is still up in the air, but I've got about 5k miles on the 80 and so far wear is minimal.

I'd say if you're in Tahoe, than snow will be an issue and the Truxus would be for you.

I've hear bad stuff about MTR's in snow, but no first hand experience

We have several guys in tornadoalley running mtr's on both 80's, and 60's...They perform well on and offroad, and so far, seem to have excellent tread life. They will be my next tire...

Im running 35" MT/Rs on my TJ. They do well in unpacked snow, but those things are sketchy as hell on packed snow or ice.

I may sell off my MT/Rs for Trxus of the same size soon.

I sold my Swampers and bought MT/R's and never looked back.
One of the best thing I did. (different model swamper though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom