Getting More Drivers Seat Legroom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, first post.

Just got a 97 Landcruiser (first car out of college) and I love it. But I'm pretty tall, 6'3"/4" or so, and my knews come awefully close to the dashboard. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to move the seat back a few more inches, or if its even feasible. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks,

I have a '95 with manual seats and the original owner put high grade leather in... plenty of leg room and I am 6'1".

I know some people have done a seat rail mod, but you could always get a manual seat/rail and re-cover. Not cost effective, but you could probably sell your power seat to someone.

Oh... and Welcome... this is a great site.

Lantank has a mod that gives about 3 inches IIRC PM him or search for details

edit: OOPS! LanDtank

Last edited:
3rd vote for Landtank...I've 6'3 and with his seat bracket mod, legroom is no longer a problem (except for the person behind me...hehehe)

Not sure if he stocks his brackets or does them in batches, but he's probably due....search in the Vendor corner under his username and you'll find the last thread on them....

woody said:
3rd vote for Landtank...I've 6'3 and with his seat bracket mod, legroom is no longer a problem (except for the person behind me...hehehe)

Not sure if he stocks his brackets or does them in batches, but he's probably due....search in the Vendor corner under his username and you'll find the last thread on them....

Woody,
Headroom too? I'm 6'3" also, and some 220 lbs. I can afford any car I want but the couple of times I've tried on an 80 (and a 100) I bonk my head on the door sill and have not much room for my legs. I mean, I could drive them but when on trips I like to be able to switch feet on the gas so I can flex my right leg around to relieve the stiffness from sitting still too long and those cars make me feel like I'm in a space module with nowhere to go, kinda' like being in the middle seat on an airliner with fat ladies on both sides. So I go: "who needs this?" Besides, the milage sucks...:)

honk said:
Woody,
I've tried on an 80 (and a 100) I bonk my head on the door sill and have not much room for my legs.

Isn't the door sill that part that runs along the floor.

To get the seat to move further back I had to raise the front of the chair 3/4". This puts the rails at a slope and since the chair is further down the slope now the head room doesn't get sacraficed to much.

The seat gets moved back 1 7/8". It might not sound like much but it really is. People have commented on the price but the part requires quite a bit a machining which I have to farm out. I myself am 6' 6" tall and comfortably drive the truck.

honk said:
Woody,
Headroom too? I'm 6'3" also, and some 220 lbs. I can afford any car I want but the couple of times I've tried on an 80 (and a 100) I bonk my head on the door sill and have not much room for my legs. I mean, I could drive them but when on trips I like to be able to switch feet on the gas so I can flex my right leg around to relieve the stiffness from sitting still too long and those cars make me feel like I'm in a space module with nowhere to go, kinda' like being in the middle seat on an airliner with fat ladies on both sides. So I go: "who needs this?" Besides, the milage sucks...:)

1> drive long distances with your shoes off.....there is piles of room for feet behind the brake pedal and above the gas pedal....nice stretch-out space

2> the seat bracket change requires me to keep the seat at the lowest positions, front and rear....the front is up 3/4" (perfect for me) and the rear is actually either identical to stock or even a "shade" lower, since the now-angled bracket actualy pushes the slide a tad lower in the rear

worth every penny...and I'm a mere 200# :D

Another vote for these brackets....they totally change the cruiser....whole new truck. Makes driving so much better. They take some work putting them in about a 3 banana job but take your time and everything works perfect. Also no problem with the door opening when you have to climb up into it rather then duck down like stock ride hight. just put a 6" lift!!!

Another quick fix is removing the dead pedal. Lots of extra left leg room that way.

Ditto the removal of the dead pedal (fake-pedal-looking-stump of plastic near the kick panel on the left). Very helpful and free!

I was planning on buying the brackets but was concerned that being able to go back would put me looking sideways directly into the B-pillar. Is this not really a concern with moving the seat back more? I'm only 6'1" but I have size 15 feet and a little more room would be great

I'm 6'6" and thought it had a lot of room and recently did a 2000mile hike. Maybe I have short legs.

C6H12O6 said:
I was planning on buying the brackets but was concerned that being able to go back would put me looking sideways directly into the B-pillar. Is this not really a concern with moving the seat back more?

I tend to keep my seat fairly upright, so I haven't noticed it.....if you drive ghetto, you'll actually see out the rear window.... hehehe

I just catch the edge of the B when I glance out the window....considering I had the seat angled back more before relocating it, it's no different....

Have to give a plug for Landtanks seat mod. Installed it tonight....WOW! :bounce: :bounce: Awesome quality and my right knee no longer hits the shifter. I don't even need the seat all the way back! Of course now I wish I did it earlier!!!!! :doh:

Thanks Rick! :cheers:

I've had Landtank's brackets for quite some time now and it's the only way to roll. I'm 6'2'' 220 and I have more then enough room. Landtank is a big boy @ 6'6" and looks quite comfortable with his. The quality is top notch and the price is WELL worth it, I have since driven stock 80's and it feels really tight. BUY EM'!

P.S. Unless you are doing the lowrider thing with the back of you seat, the B pillar is not going to be a problem, if you are, you got more problems then the B pillar.

Another nod for Landtanks seat mod.
As far as the pillar B-pillar is concerned, I have no problem (just a little in view).
I'm 6'4" & I prefer driving w/ the seat back in a tilted position, but since I can't see out the back window I must not be ghetto enough. :flipoff2:

A what?

Why didn't I know about this seat mod before now?

I'm 6'-5" and 250lbs. so I fill up all of the available space too.

Never had the problem of hitting the OD button on the shifter though.

I wouldn't mind having a little extra headroom and a couple more inches of legroom. Thanks for this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom