Getting Drum brake style rims to fit on a disk brake front end

I am looking at buying some old OEM rims to go on my rig. All that I can seem to find are the older drum brake style. I did the search thing and found some info and I looked at the FAQ section about OEM wheels, but I still do not have the full picture.

I have read that you can grind down the rivets on older rims to get them to fit on disk brakes. Is this a common practice and has anyone had any safety issues with doing this? Like the wheel coming apart?

I have also read that you can grind down the caliper to get the rim to fit. Opinions please on the preferred method.

:cheers:

Buy the correct rims. According to Mark A, you CANNOT grind down the rivits to make them fit. I haven't tried, but I'll take Mark's word. Why take the risk on grinding the calipers?

You can still buy rims from places like SOR and maybe even from Toyota (but I seem to remember something about them being discontinued).

Good luck! :cheers:

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
SILVER Star

i have heard of guys welding the center to the rim ...and then grinding away the whole rivit

EDIT...just did a search...and the older rims taper a bit...and it is that that causes the rim not to fit...even if you weld them up....

but...i still kinda recall somebody doing it and it worked out?

Last edited:

Volcanic Iceberg

Addict

I wouldnt recommend it for everyone, but I got the drum style steelies to fit over disk brake calipers with a combination of 1/4" spacers and some grinding of the calipers.

Top Bottom