Getting closer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the field has narrowed a bit, and I think there may be a candidate vehicle close by my home. Here's the next question.

It is a stock 1977 model with minor rust around rear bottom (the ones I've seen seem to rust at this location...must be common), and the seller wants only $2500.00 for it. Sounds like a good deal, however.....the engine has been cahnged out for a Chevrolet inline six cylinder (252?).

1. Would this engine/stock tranny combo be a good bet?

2. Does the Chevrolet engine equal the original 2F engine in terms of power or does it come close?

3. Final question--how is the heater systems in these vehicles? I remember my old "Jeep" being inadequate and I had to carry an ice scraper to clean the windshiled on the INSIDE on cold winter days.

Thanks again,

Jeff

If it's a stock 1977 and in good condition I would say it's a good deal. Here in California ( without rust ) that rig would go for probably $5 or 6k. 4spd. disc brakes etc. As far as the engine goes you can get a 2F for practically nothing if you want to go back to stock but the 252 should have as much or more power.

The F engine is very close to the Chevy. Some say Toyota copied it when designing the F.
It is pretty close in power. There are probably more hop-up items available for the Chevy.
They heat up really well - in the summer. :D
a proper working heater works pretty good. Because the core is laying flat in the heater box, they tend to get gunked up. It's pretty easy to clean 'em out. The doors that divert air don't always seal very well or divert like they are supposed to. The hoses that go to the defroster are known to crack and leak. Many times the whole truck is not really well sealed against drafts. My first 40 had a fist sized hole in the top just below the fiberglass above the wind sheild that allowed it to snow harder inside than outside. :D The rear heater option helps.
Finally the proper t-stat and a working heater diverter valve and you should be OK.

Cool!!!!

Thanks for the info...

I guess it'll probably be a go for the purchase. Now I'll have to get geared up (manuals, tools, time) and then comes the fun.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom