Getting closer :-) Last few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, looks like I'm almost ready to join you folks.

Next Monday, I've tentatively agreed to buy an '01 with 89K miles on it for $23.5K. I basically used the newbie 100 guide to check it out and it's in very near-perfect condition with only two very minor scratches on the front bumper and the cargo area could stand a bit of vacuuming and cleaning. The underbody all looks normal; no drips or leaks and the engine compartment looks almost new. Synthetic oil has been used since new and it rides like a dream.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

I usually like to have all the fluids changed or flushed and I'll probably get the 90K service done and change the timing belt, water pump, etc. right away if for nothing else but peace of mind.

Am I being paranoid or is this all a good idea?

Can anyone recommend a good independent shop in the Bay Area, CA or should I just take it into the local Toyota dealer in San Francisco to have the services done? The previous owner had the dealer take care of the services for the first couple of years and then switched to a independent shop for the last year or so.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Trek said:
I usually like to have all the fluids changed or flushed and I'll probably get the 90K service done and change the timing belt, water pump, etc. right away if for nothing else but peace of mind.

That's the right thing to do. Post pics once it's finalized :beer: :beer:

Be sure to check for cracks in the exhaust manifold. You won't be able to see it, you'll have to listen for it. When the engine is cold, it'll make a groaning sound for about a minute--until it warms up a bit. Do a search for it. If you notice it, it's not a deal breaker but its something to consider for negotiations.

Hi Trek said:
Next Monday, I've tentatively agreed to buy an '01 with 89K miles on it for $23.5K. I usually like to have all the fluids changed or flushed and I'll probably get the 90K service done and change the timing belt, water pump, etc. right away if for nothing else but peace of mind.

If the maintenance records are not availalbe or don't show a recent "change all fluids", changing the fluids is money well spent. Stick with the Toyota (red) antifreeze. I'd also change the air filter and PCV valve, have the brake pads checked and grease the drive shaft. I'd hold off on changing the timing belt and water pump until the odometer reached 100k to 120k miles. I changed mine at 115K and it still looked brand new. There was a post 2-3 months ago showing a photo of a timing belt with 190k. It was rough looking (cracks) but still working. When you do replace the timing belt, go back with a Toyota belt, even if an independent shop does the work. The Toyota belt appears to give at least a 2:1 safety factor over the recommend change interval. I elected not to change the water pump with the timing belt because it's a Toyota LC and the pump should be good for 200k or better. I'd go ahead and change the drive belt unless the maintenance records show a recent replacement. Check the spare tire to be sure it is there and not flat and verify the jack and tool kit are in placed (the tools were missing on the used LC I purchased). Good luck with your new ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom