Getting better fuel economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 60 series on 33" tires and my gas millage is killing me. I would love some information on some stuff I could get to increase my fuel economy.

-matt

You accounting for odometer being off from the bigger tires? Take your odometer reading and multiple it by 1.14 (if you still have the stock gears) and then divide by how much you fill up with. You can average a couple of fillup and get a more accurate number.

Fuel Injection!!!!!!!!

Like NorCal says, if you have 33s, you need to do the factor. If that doesn't help, do the basics...plugs, wires, timing, carb, etc.

How far do you go on a tank? With 33 I go about 230 miles on the odo which is more like 270 miles actual.

Keep it under 2k rpm. Mine actually used to get decent gas mileage when it ran like crap... now that I have it running pretty decent, the fuel economy has dropped quite a bit??

How far do you go on a tank? With 33 I go about 230 miles on the odo which is more like 270 miles actual.

How the hell? Do the 60's have the same size tank as a 62? I could barely get 230 on the odo before the lift, even freshly tuned. Now it's like 170-190.

Truthfully, your never going to get good mileage in that rig without a major mod like a diesel swap. If you need good mileage, get yourself a commuter car that will get you 35+ mpg.

That being said, you haven't told us what kind of mileage your currently getting and what kind of driving you do.

To improve in-town milage...park the cruiser and walk/ride/take the bus.

To improve highway milage...drive max 60 mph.

Or, get small car.

Seriously...best in town milage is going to be ~14mpg. That's best case. Well tuned, drive slow, etc. Best highway milage is going to be ~16, maybe 17. Depends on lift, roofrack, tire size, speed, tune, etc.

Wow, I'd like to know who's getting the 14mpg in town and 16-17 on the highway. I need to check for a gas leak!

I do, but I'd bet yours looks a whole lot more complicated than mine underneath that bonnet.

I get 14 town/16 highway on my rebuilt 2F, 4 speed, fully smogged, 2 inch lift, 33x10.5s and a couple hundred lbs of tools and armor. As for fuel injection? Yu'd think it'd help but 62s do about the same as 60s - maybe they start better in cold weather. Desmog? Well there are as many opinions as there are 60s out there. If it works, I'd keep it. It consumes very little power.

How the hell? Do the 60's have the same size tank as a 62? I could barely get 230 on the odo before the lift, even freshly tuned. Now it's like 170-190.

Check out your fuel tank size. My truck goes about 180 to 190 when the guage says empty but I could never get more than 17 or 18 gallons. I decided to keep driving one day with a gas can and I went to 240 miles. Stopped before I ran out an put in 22 gallons that time. My guage goes well below the empty mark.

Also 60 have a higher rear end and that should make a little difference

I'm getting the same mileage as 60wag

totally original 2F, tuned up and running well, bumpers, sliders, winch, 33's 4.11s, and h55f (that helps for the highway for sure!), about 160k, never opened up...just regular oil changes since new...yes, I've had this motor since it was in my 85FJ60.

I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal these days...

I get 12-14 in town and 16-17 on hwy.

I have a similar issue with my gass guage. it says empty however I only get 18-19gallons in it. My understanding is that it has a 24 gallon fuel tank. I just go by how far is on the odometer.

It's either....

23.8 gal. or 24 gal in the 60...I know it's weird, but I think I remember reading that in the owners manual. (like 20 years ago)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom