Getting at my antenna motor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read some threads on how to fix the antenna motor but didn't find anything on how to get to the motor. I just know that it's behind the fender liner, so I started removing the PS front fender liner. See photos below.

I removed some screws and few bolts from inside the wheel well (first photo - green marks). I see a lot more of the screws/bolts protruding thorugh the liner that I would have to unscrew/loosen from inside the engine bay (second foto with red rings around them).

Do I need to unscrew the ones in red from inside the engine bay to release the liner so I can get to the antenna motor?

PSwheelwell1.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard of the fenderectomy before, but didn't attempt it. IIRC, I took off the cruise control assembly to get to it from inside, i.e. the engine compartment side.
YMMV

^^ what he said. you can get the antenna motor out the hole in the inner fender. Just unbolt stuff that's in the way. Then unbolt the top antenna nut, the motor will wiggle out the inner fender hole.

^^ what he said. you can get the antenna motor out the hole in the inner fender. Just unbolt stuff that's in the way. Then unbolt the top antenna nut, the motor will wiggle out the inner fender hole.

Hmmm... there is a heat sink thing mounted to the side of the opening you describe on the inside of the engine bay... that opening is pretty small but I'll try it tomorrow (it's dark now) and report back. thx

Hmmm... there is a heat sink thing mounted to the side of the opening you describe on the inside of the engine bay... that opening is pretty small but I'll try it tomorrow (it's dark now) and report back. thx

That's the spot you go through, hope your hands are small. It's not that bad getting in there.

Yes
From the Inside...very easy
There is one Resister Box, 1 Bolt you remove
Than Remove the Nut from the Top of the Fender
on your Antenna mast.......voila
pull it out from the Inside a Bit,
than losen your Cable thats connected to your radio
Than take it out

how do you go about removing the actual antenna from the motor? when i was messing about with my motor i found no obvious way to remove the actual cable that attaches to the radio. this may be a pre 8/96 difference in antenna motors from the newer version but id be interested if you have any more insight.

thanks!

IIRC, you can't take the motor all the way out... The motor and "spool" only sit outside the compartment, with the antennae shaft still inside. I remember the connected wires were pretty short...

IIRC, you can't take the motor all the way out... The motor and "spool" only sit outside the compartment, with the antennae shaft still inside. I remember the connected wires were pretty short...

That's exactly what I'm finding myself. The Link that 'skippingrocks' listed above had a pretty good description but I could not figure out how he got those wires undone to completely remove the motor from the engine bay... I don't see how you'd do that without cutting - see the pic below. That's how far I got to today. In case you're wondering, the wires (circled in green) are preventing the antenna mast from fully coming out of that compartment...

antennamotor1.jpg

I was hoping to remove the motor assembly and put it on my work bench to fix and properly greast - looks like I'll need to work on it here in the engine bay... :hmm:

Yes, that wire has to snake out of there from its terminal inside the cab. It is easier to fix if you don't have to get that wire out and back in. What is wrong with it?

Yes, that wire has to snake out of there from its terminal inside the cab. It is easier to fix if you don't have to get that wire out and back in. What is wrong with it?

When I operated the Up/Down buttons inside the cabin it just made the clicking noise... now that I've taken it out this far I will be looking it over but initial look at the plastic gear inside didn't reveal anything was stripped or broken. More on this tomorrow I guess...

Sidenote - I can't believe they didn't make a simple disconnect for that cable in here so you can disconnect it and do proper repair on the workbench...hmmm

If anything needs replacing it is better if you can do it like it is without removing the wire and the complete assembly. Chances are the mast is busticated.

Chances are the mast is busticated.
Actually, yes - the mast came out on its own but the end was threaded so I assumed that I could screw it back in (eventually)... maybe it is broken...

What's next...

I've disassembled the mechanism and was able to free the plastic cable that raises/lowers the antenna. I've sprayed some WD40 in there and was able to free it. I thought this was it... due to the fact that I could only partially remove it from the fender I was not able to test its operation until I put it back in the fender cavity with the bracket that provides the ground to close the circuit.

Anyway... it still doesn't work. The came out completely from the shaft. The mast has a small threaded stud at the end which I thought I could just thread it place at the end into whatever receptacle lives inside that tube but I guess I was wrong.... When I operate the buttons (up/down) it makes the same clicking noises as before but refuses to come out of the antenna shaft... dang it.

Looking down into the hole where the antenna mast used to be I can see what looks like a mangled piece of that plastic wire which won't accept that threaded end of the mast like I was hoping to.

So, my question is what do I do - can I somehow disassemble it more completely in hopes of saving this mechanism or is there a relatively inexpensive replacement mast that I could purchased to make this work?!

Some guidance would be appreciated.
James

Did you take the spool cover off and remove the old antenna plastic cable? That would be the first step. It is the cable that typically brakes so it won't spool up and down. You by a new mast assembly and install it.

I think I have the same problem Merc... the nylon cable is broken. I have the new mast assembly but it does not include the nylon cable. I haven't yet figured out what to do, but I know I need more parts.

I just got a quote from Beno for both Rod and cable assembly for my '95 so at least I'm hoping that's all I need.

Get a flexible antenna, cut the antenna wire at the fender opening (as seen in your picture), attach the new antenna plug end to the cut wire, pull your glove box, and use the old wire to fish your new antenna wire through. You get a new antenna that won't be destroyed on trails with branches/brush for a fraction of the cost.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom