Getting Appraisals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have lined up three dealers in Town to provide appraisals for my stated value policy. They all owe my dad favors so I can name the amount. What should I have it insured for?

It is a frame off restoration including a powder coated frame and wheels. New lights all the way around. Paint is clear coat/ base coat. New seats. Gator guard floor board and undercarraige, 30,000 original miles on the motor and drive train. Hard top in restored condition as the rest. 1970 Model with 1969 bib.

Thanks, Tate
FJ40 After 2IH8Mud.jpg
FJ40 After 3Ih8mud.jpg
FJ40 After IH8mud.jpg

Tate, That is a very nice cruiser, I do not know what the value would be but Safco came up with $9000. for my 69 Fj40. And it is just a decent truck. If your insurance co. will go Antique with it you will save a lot of money. My 32 Buick is only $200 for $20,000 value.

I would worry about loosing that one since you will have in places that us older guysd might not, After all the work and time you and your dad have put into this project, I would suggest a lowjack system, hide it and do not tell a sole. These things are way to easy to steal. This will help with your insurance. I believe Landpimp got a way to get a deal on them for cruisers.

Nice Ride, Myrle

Get it valued for as much as you can. The only concern is how much you can afford to pay for insurance per year. Antique or collector car status is good but usually you become very limited in where and when you can drive the cruiser. You guys did a very nice job on that truck. I've enjoyed following the posts on it. How much value do you put on the sentiment that vehicle has for you.
I would say "PRICELESS".

That is a really sweet cruiser. I'm still running around without mine properly insured. My insurance company presently has mine listed at $7500 for a total loss. Thats as high as their book goes for a 79. I would like to have mine covered for 12k. But I have to get pictures of it inside, outside, and underneath to send my insurance company. Or get it appraised. For yours, I would suggest 15-20k. I figured 12k for mine because thats what it would roughly cost me to build another one as nice as mine, but I don't count my own labor. And mine isn't as nice as yours. I do agree with the others though, these things are super easy to steal. I have mine locked in my garage, and when I do drive it I try not to leave it anywhere I can't see it.

Take it from me (I recently rolled mine) :mad: . Insure it as an antique or collector vehicle. You can discuss the driving later with the company if they want to argue with you about "driving it too much". I had to get an appraisal from a guy and beg the insurance woman to give me as much as they could. I came out alright ($10700) which was just about flawless in my opinion (no rust, shiny paint, nice interior, good 2F).

Now comes the hard part of gathering all the necessary pieces to put it back on the road.

My insurance company...USAA wouldn't insure a antique...but they transferred me to their main provider and I was quite impressed...I can get mine at any amount...of course the monthly figure goes up.. But I get 3K miles per year.... thats actually alot...

Doug_S said:
Take it from me (I recently rolled mine) :mad: . Insure it as an antique or collector vehicle. You can discuss the driving later with the company if they want to argue with you about "driving it too much". I had to get an appraisal from a guy and beg the insurance woman to give me as much as they could. I came out alright ($10700) which was just about flawless in my opinion (no rust, shiny paint, nice interior, good 2F).

Now comes the hard part of gathering all the necessary pieces to put it back on the road.

Doug glad to hear you did not loose the LC it was very nice. I was wondering how you made out on this, I totaled a new ATV a few years back and the insurance company would not let me buy it. but I did get a new one out of the deal.

Wow, Tate. Thats an awesome rig. I would recommend at least $25K. There are plenty of places that restore vehicles that you could check out there web sites, Like CCOT or Rocky Mtn.

Seems like you should PM Woody about changing your Sig line, to at least "17 in Dec"

Mallred,

I actually bought my '77 back for ONLY $350.00! Quite a steal I must say. That, of course, is what I'm going to gell everyone now when they ask me how much I paid for it :) . I've had to put around $7,000 back into it to get it back into shape. I'm just waiting on the left rear quarterpanel from CCOT and it'll be back together.

Thanks for all the support!

I have mine at $18,500.

Doug_S said:
Mallred,

I actually bought my '77 back for ONLY $350.00! Quite a steal I must say. That, of course, is what I'm going to gell everyone now when they ask me how much I paid for it :) . I've had to put around $7,000 back into it to get it back into shape. I'm just waiting on the left rear quarterpanel from CCOT and it'll be back together.

Thanks for all the support!

You might have to ride CCOT about the panels, I made a order for the quarter patches and rock panel, there was a question if the rock panel would fit so Gayland and I talked about 2 weeks after the order and he had all the parts at that time. Not being in a hurry assumed that the would arrive shortly after 5 weeks I Emailed them and they were shipped that day.

Good to hear it will be going again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom