getting antsy... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting to do the bigger mods on my 60...clients are sending out their checks, work is coming in steadily... it's ON baby!

Here's a question though: since I've decided to recurve my springs and get it lifted - if I go for the 3" lift, can I keep my standard brake lines for a short while? Or should I wait and do the lift after I've got the new brake lines in place? - then again, I may not need to worry. The recurve may be 3" over sag, not over stock :doh: . Any thoughts on this? I want to be pretty confident in my brakes...

(once I get the lift done, I get to order my bullbar...and after that I'm going to either get a new roof rack or snorkel...and I know the snorkel looks like a poser thing sometimes, but when I'm out, I'm out on a lot of dirt roads, so I'm getting the pre-cleaner and going for the "fresh air" defense. :flipoff2: )

:bounce:

You are basically wasting your money not going with a SO right off the bat.

You will want to do one later anyway..

3" over "sag" should work with stock brake lines. I have a BDS lift and I've maxed the flex out a few times with no problem. Any higher and I would need longer lines. I assume this means the "hate" has subsided?

swank60 said:
if I go for the 3" lift, can I keep my standard brake lines for a short while? Or should I wait and do the lift after I've got the new brake lines in place? -
:bounce:
It depends on whether you flex the suspension or not. If you keep to paved streets, then your OEM brake lines will be fine. Off-road, you need longer brake lines with a lift.

gulp3000 said:
3" over "sag" should work with stock brake lines. I have a BDS lift and I've maxed the flex out a few times with no problem. Any higher and I would need longer lines. I assume this means the "hate" has subsided?

The "hate" side of the relationship is on the down-low for now. I go through it once a year, basically, so I should be fine for a while.

I won't do anything crazy until I get the new brake lines in place...woo hoo!

get the tradesman roof rack, best 750$ even spent on ANYTHING ( even my wedding bands, dont tell my wife)
but, of course, the mechanicals are more important
hammer
soon to have new smog pump
pine barrens bound next week!

Seen rearched springs go flat fast. Something about steel memory... For what you are paying you could easily get some dakars or cheaper!

With OME 3" lift I needed brake lines right away. When they reach their max strech the end of the line is at an odd angle to the fitting and look as if they would tear right out. SS lines from MAF are 99$ for all three. two for the front and one for the rear.

Don't forget to extend you diff breather hoses. Hate to have one come loose during a rainy or dusty day.

Snorkle schmorkel. I think gears (4.11 or 4.56) OR new meats. I can't find one person who says they think they benefit from their snorkle. Also that black plastic with crack under constant UV exposure. Seen it, not pretty.

BTW thanks for typing so much. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Swank, if you are going to put some bigger tires on there, then forget rearching--get either the Dakar or the BDS lift kit, or do/get someone to do an SOA. The recurve probably won't give you much of a lift over stock (unless you're going to get extended shackles, in which case you'll need to get the front shimmed--I know it's your truck, but I hate extended shackles, the worst way to get a lift).

Good luck!

I'm not going to put bigger tires under it. I like my 31" tires, and they are brand new, so I'm not going crazy with the lift. The biggest tires I'll ever put on her will be 33"...plus, I'm setting it up more for travel/expedition stuff than rock crawling. The 3" is speculative at this point until I talk to the shop when I take it in.

As far as the Dakkar thing goes, I really don't want to mess with all of that.
Dakkar lift = $1300 + shipping + doing it by myself + alignment
Spring rearch = $600 + tax + alignment (unless it's built into the cost) + I don't have to jack with it.

I have been thinking about the snorkel thing...might spend the money on a Tuffy console instead. CCOT has them on sale right now for $210. That makes more sense in my hood, actually.

Hey Swank, where in Fart Worth are you? I work at 121 and Sylvania. And how come you don't come to LSLC meetings!?!?!

I'm over in the historic Fairmount district - close to the hospital district.

I need to make it out to a meeting - I'm just lazy. :D

We need to try to have lunch or something sometime soon - aren't you working in printing now?

swank60 said:
I'm not going to put bigger tires under it. I like my 31" tires, and they are brand new, so I'm not going crazy with the lift. The biggest tires I'll ever put on her will be 33"...plus, I'm setting it up more for travel/expedition stuff than rock crawling. The 3" is speculative at this point until I talk to the shop when I take it in.

As far as the Dakkar thing goes, I really don't want to mess with all of that.
Dakkar lift = $1300 + shipping + doing it by myself + alignment
Spring rearch = $600 + tax + alignment (unless it's built into the cost) + I don't have to jack with it.

I have been thinking about the snorkel thing...might spend the money on a Tuffy console instead. CCOT has them on sale right now for $210. That makes more sense in my hood, actually.

Swank, when you remove the springs to re-arch, you're going to want to put in new bushings and U-bolts, anyway. Why not talk to C-Dan about some new stock springs? Or, if the shipping is a bear, maybe, um, your local stealership? :rolleyes: I've just heard too many stories about re-arched springs not lasting that long. You're gonna be really sad if the sag comes back, aren't you? :frown:

Yeah, I know, $$$, but you do often get what you pay for.

I think stock springs may cost more than getting the OME or Dakkar. Urban Land Cruisers can get stock springs but it's almost double of just getting a separate lift. Just a thought. I could be wrong, and if I am, someone will be sure to correct me.

swank60 said:
I'm over in the historic Fairmount district - close to the hospital district.

I need to make it out to a meeting - I'm just lazy. :D

We need to try to have lunch or something sometime soon - aren't you working in printing now?

Yes i am in printing now.

Fairmount District...where exactly is that?

Jman said:
Swank, when you remove the springs to re-arch, you're going to want to put in new bushings and U-bolts, anyway. Why not talk to C-Dan about some new stock springs? Or, if the shipping is a bear, maybe, um, your local stealership? :rolleyes: I've just heard too many stories about re-arched springs not lasting that long. You're gonna be really sad if the sag comes back, aren't you? :frown:

Yeah, I know, $$$, but you do often get what you pay for.

I've got new bushings already. I rebushed the frontend about 6 months ago (part of the reason I really don't feel like doing the work myself).

I posted up a thread last week about recurving and really only had one negative comment. I think there are different processes on the recurve, so that may have a lot to do with the experience. What I'm looking to have done is a full tilt recurve, where they heat the springs and recurve them (then heat them again to temper the steel), then add a leaf and all of the other crap that goes into them, as opposed to pulling the springs and adding a leaf only.

I've still got a lot of talking to do to the shops that do it around here, and I'll be asking about warranty, process, etc. I still think it's the way to go though considering budget, time and labor. Not to say that I'm not open to debate - the more I can learn about it the better off I'll be in the long run. I just think that spending $1500 or so on a lift kit is a bit much for a $300 truck. :D

BigSur said:
Yes i am in printing now.

Fairmount District...where exactly is that?

Fairmount is between 8th avenue, Rosedale, Berry and Hemphill. I know, I know, sounds like a great location...but it's pretty cool. Nothing like having turn of the century mansions 4 blocks from crack houses...

Who are you working for now? PM me or something and let me know what's up.

Now that I think about it, Mace said he got a quote of $250 for the front Dakkar springs...I need to talk to him - If I could get just the springs, I could work something out on the install...hmmm

Just want to think this through a little more. Thinking about what Jman said, I really don't want to be smacking myself in the head in 6 months or a year while the ass end of my truck is dragging...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom