Getting another 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, figured I'd say something after lurking and learning here at ih8mud for quite some time. I'm 22yo, from Danville Pa, and will be picking up an 88 fj62 tomorrow. It will replace my '89 fj62 as my daily driver. I've been driving to work, beating, and wheeling it for a little over a year. It has 198k on it, was 160 something when i got it. Only paid 500 bucks for my first cruiser. ;p . After the initial month or so of replacing things it never let me down. I put maybe $300 in parts into it, but now it needs tranny/t-case seals, rear main seal, and output shaft fixed. Steering joints clunk, rotors shake and screech, fan belt squeals. So instead of fixing it right away, it will become a project.
The '88 is really nice with about 151,000 miles. The owner knows nothing about it, just drove it back and forth to the farm a couple times. It needs less work than the '89 did when I got it. I think the AC just needs a re-charge. The body is in much better shape too, no scratches or dents. Its the battleship grey I think. Looks kinda blue to me. Mine is the champagne/walnut. Some rust of course, but hey its only $950. Today, Sunday, I went to drive/inspect it and noticed the front leaf springs look very odd. It looks to me like a single leaf with a short add a leaf in the front, middle, and rear underneath the single leaf. :confused: Doesn't look anything like my 89's front leaves. It rode really bouncy compared to mine too. Tuesday i'll post some pics of the screwey front leaves when its hopefully mine. If get my cash as planned and we transfer the title before the notary closes I'll be happy. I would take pics Monday but it will be dark by the time I have it home. Anyways it seems to have more power than mine even with 33 9.5 vs my 31 10.5. Couldn't really get her over 40 because the road I test drove on was bumpy. I thought that leaves up front were gonna break! So I guess I can't really compare the two just yet.
This week I would like to swap the front leaves, all 4 shocks, shift cable, stereo system, window motors, wipers, and whatever I need or can think of from the '89. Then I'll do the knuckle job and drive it till it dies. Eventually the '89 will get bobbed, locked, chopped top doors fenders, and sprung over with big meats. :flipoff2: 88 will be for street duty. Im open to opinions as long as they're cheap!
Hildy
I need a signature.

Yeah man, it is alot of fun. I did end up getting it yesterday for 950 bucks cash. Its freakin sweet compared to what I'm used to. The metal is nice and straight and its got more power than the 89. Blue interior is kinda cool too. Now I need to post some pics for you all to see how pretty she is, compared to my beater anyways.
I found out the leaves are actually broken. Passenger side hub won't lock, but 4wd will pull the driver side front, is it locked? And finally the exhaust leaks infront of one of the cats too. :mad:
I can't wait to start working on it.

i have a crap load of Aisin hub parts. if you figure out what the problem is, pm me and ill send some stuff yur way...-sean

Great, thanks. If I need anything I'll let you know. I still need to fix the seals but maybe I'll just tear apart the hub and take a look. With my fist cruiser the hubs were always locked, I reassembeled them properly while doing the knuckles and they have been fine ever since. FWIW the wheel makes a clicking noise when it spins, locked or unlocked. The front driveshaft wont spin with the wheel either. But I won't drive it with those springs, so it doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom