Getting an 85 FJ40 California smog compliant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I recently bought a 1985 FJ40 here in CA. Finding out about grey market vehicles and smog restrictions. This vehicle has no smog equipment on it. Wondering if any of you have a good recommendation on the course to take that would allow it to be street legal that would be the most practical.

sounds like my options are tracking down several parts that would have been on the US spec1985 or doing an engine conversion.

Any idea how to locate parts if that is the best route or what engine to swap if that is the route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There is/was no US spec 1985 FJ40 for you to match.

California CARB regulations are stringent.

However, if you are willing to spend thousands of dollars, any vehicle can be made California compliant, witness Lamborghini and Ferrari gray market autos.

Hey I recently bought a 1985 FJ40 here in CA. Finding out about grey market vehicles and smog restrictions. This vehicle has no smog equipment on it. Wondering if any of you have a good recommendation on the course to take that would allow it to be street legal that would be the most practical.

sounds like my options are tracking down several parts that would have been on the US spec1985 or doing an engine conversion.

Any idea how to locate parts if that is the best route or what engine to swap if that is the route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

how close are you to Burbank ?

Marks Off Road , @65swb45 specializes in California SMOG Compliance in

older vintage Land Cruisers ...........

btw , how do you know you have a 1985 FJ40 ?

can you please post a photo of your frame # ,

if your not comfortable doing that , send me a PM / private message ,

i can positively ID your truck using that and several old old Charts i have on this topic .....

thanks

i can positively ID your truck using that and several old old Charts i have on this topic .....

thanks

Question: Did Toyota ever produce a 1985 FJ40 ?

Question: Did Toyota ever produce a 1985 FJ40 ?

well , Your Frame # might just confirm or Deny that fact

do u know where your frame # is on your truck ?

send me a private message , i can help you sort this out

any communication will remain strictly confidential ............

thanks
It’s definitely a 1985 FJ40. Built in Venezuela.
VIN: FJ40-9395xx (I just left the last two numbers confidential). Plug in any two you like.

IIRCC you will not be able to add some smog equipment onto your engine as there are no holes for the air injection manifold in the head, if there are plugs in the head you could add the smog equipment, it would be everything from a late 60 series Landcruiser, including the cat, next would be if all the brackets are on the fenders to mount the parts to.
no idea on cost $2500-4000????? including labor
Was this rig bought in CA? doesn't the seller have to provide a certificate to pass smog?

Complete Knock Down

Toyota sent A LOT of areas CKD 'complete knock down' "kits" in the 80's they had 50% of the world market in CKD's

Not really a kit as in a complete car in a box ... But... Parts in a shipping container and then assembled in the origin country. several countries got them. These were done mostly to comply with local gov laws ... Such as to 'buy national', nationalization laws

Their 'kits' were what parts the licensed assemblers received from Toyota and at times had local companies supply parts to comply with the national laws. usually starts with a complete truck being sent over than built there.... but... they want a certain percentage built in country

like Toyota do Brasil ...they started out as just the parts from japan and assembled there.... then in a few years the government wanted 85% built from local sources then the next year 95%.... within a few years they went from a kit to 100% built there. Most places are happy to have assembly and local source a few parts

IIRCC you will not be able to add some smog equipment onto your engine as there are no holes for the air injection manifold in the head, if there are plugs in the head you could add the smog equipment, it would be everything from a late 60 series Landcruiser, including the cat, next would be if all the brackets are on the fenders to mount the parts to.
Was this rig bought in CA? doesn't the seller have to provide a certificate to pass smog?

depends on how bad you want the bragging rights to a 1985FJ40.

Is it the blue rolled one from San Diego Craig’s List? That will be hard to get the CA DMV to register as it’s grey market even if you can get a 1985 fj60 smog stuff to pass smog. Good Luck in CA.

What is a CKD?
Complete Knock Down

Toyota sent A LOT of areas CKD 'complete knock down' "kits" in the 80's they had 50% of the world market in CKD's

Not really a kit as in a complete car in a box ... But... Parts in a shipping container and then assembled in the origin country. several countries got them. These were done mostly to comply with local gov laws ... Such as to 'buy national', nationalization laws

Their 'kits' were what parts the licensed assemblers received from Toyota and at times had local companies supply parts to comply with the national laws. usually starts with a complete truck being sent over than built there.... but... they want a certain percentage built in country

like Toyota do Brasil ...they started out as just the parts from japan and assembled there.... then in a few years the government wanted 85% built from local sources then the next year 95%.... within a few years they went from a kit to 100% built there. Most places are happy to have assembly and local source a few parts

This is a TOYOTA CKD Vehical :

19760528_01_01_en_s1 #3 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Is it the blue rolled one from San Diego Craig’s List? That will be hard to get the CA DMV to register as it’s grey market even if you can get a 1985 fj60 smog stuff to pass smog. Good Luck in CA.
No, it’s not for sale nor crashed. But it is blue.

A0B48D03-A9BA-4C60-BFCA-07558D926ECB.jpeg

Here is a picture. What do you think?

7922F554-BA1A-4740-870C-898F0DB057C7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom