Getting Add A Leaf on Friday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I ordered my long add a leaf to help my Cruiser sag for the time being. Are new shackles, bushings, and U bolts a must? I figured the u bolts probably, but I'm gonna go with a lift in the next 2 years so I was trying to just get by with what I need and save for the rest. Just checking so I could make another order, and come up with another alibi.:beer:

I would replace the u-bolts. The shackles and bushings will last another two years. But the u-bolts are a good way to make sure your axle stays in place. Not too expensive either.

Post pics when you're done :)

You are likely to need new spring center pins too, so have them on hand. I think if I had it all apart, I'd do new bushings at the same time.

Cruiserdrew said:
You are likely to need new spring center pins too, so have them on hand. I think if I had it all apart, I'd do new bushings at the same time.

Good point. Didn't think about center pins. I've obviously never done an AAL before haha. You've got some more experience than me too :)

when I did my add-a-leaf back in the day I was able to get by without the centering pins, but I wouldn't recomend it. My springs were really flat, so I had to use c-clamps to squeeze the leaves together enough to tighten up the centering pins.

TK

Did mine last year. The spring hangers ate my bushings up as I drove them out, took hours to get them out, but mine were on a 84 FJ60 so they had been in for 28 years lol. Wish you good luck with yours. By the way the center pins came with mine from Manafe(what ever they are called...lol) I got their long ones and ended up leaving out the short one that were on there. Let me know if you need help :beer:

so I had to use c-clamps to squeeze the leaves together enough to tighten up the centering pins.

TK

I think when adding/subtracting leaves from a spring-pack it's essential to have 4 good c-clamps on hand.

Well due to late delivery of the U bolts that I didn't need, I installed my Add a Leaf set tonight. I am stoked about the outcome. Gained 2 3/4 inches to the rear taking away my Cruiser sag and giving me a slight stink bug. But as I reload the back with the spare and all my gear, and once it settles I believe it will be perfect just like off the lot. Install was cake (due to the shop lift) and the fact that I hit all bolts with PB blaster for 4 days prior. All bushings were old but fine and U Bolts were perfect with about 2 threads sticking out the bottom. Chalk up another win for Hank on his road to Cruiser lore. These are some before pics
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg

Nice! Clean 62 man.

Install photos are always the best :D

Nice job ,which add a leaf did you buy? Thanks, Mike

They are the Man A fre add a leaf. Feel real sturdy. I'm happy with it for sure. Gonna load it up with my gear this weekend and see if it sits like I was hoping it would. Thanks guys. :beer:

Just to clarify these are the Long AAL's that Man-a-Fre sells?

And you only did the rear?

:)

Yessir Kline. My thinking was I had about 2 inches sag in the rear and I carry about 150-200 lbs of gear plus my spare in the back. Soooo maybe if I added in just the rear it would get me back to stock once everything settled. It was an experiment. My rear pack was flat as can be but my fronts still had some arch. I saving for a lift as we speak so this was just gonna keep my urges at bay for a year or so. I'll post some more pics in a month or so when it settles.

This looks great. Now that you've had some time with the setup, I'd love to hear what you think? How is the ride? Has it settled? Also, did you use the same shocks, or replace with longer ones?

I'm considering doing this with my stock FJ60 (daily driver). I've never done anything like this myself, but this thread has given me some confidence that maybe I can do it. I have a question about the spring straps (not sure what you call them)...do you just pry them apart with a pry bar and then hammer the same ones back on? Is it a problem if they don't wrap the new spring pack? (going by the pics) Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom