1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a vehicle to me?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mooker82, Aug 9, 2005.

1. mooker82

mooker82

Ive been looking for a project vehicle and may have found a 40. It is in Florida and I am in SC. Its a 5 hour drive to where the vehicle is located. I do not have access to a flat bed trailer. The tires are good so tow dolly is an option. What other options do I have? I know some of you have gotten creative and used Uhauls and such. Just looking for a good idea. Would my 97 80 have a problem towing a 40?

thanks
    Steven

2. incogrhino

incogrhino

is it driveable.? after a 5 hour drive you should know what it needs.haha, it would proably be more like a 7 hour drive back. slow going....

I have takin some long rides in both my 40's. It goes faster that you think.I do luv driveing my cruisers tho.Go get her.(yes I said her)

3. mooker82

mooker82

Not driveable, but if it was I would drive it back. Ive driven a 74 Bronco 1/2 way across the country so I know about rough trips.

4. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    I rented a uhaul flatbed when I towed my 40 back from boise. Worked ok.

5. ozarkcruiser

ozarkcruiser

I got my 40 shipped via express motor transport or something like that for $375. It was from chatt. TN to Little Rock, AR

6. mooker82

mooker82

All shipping companies that I have checked with will not ship a non running vehicle because it is difficult to load.

7. wob

wob

Dang, Mook, I just sold mine a few months ago! Where were you?

:D

8. RedGreen

RedGreen

I towed mine using a UHaul tow dolly. Just don't tell UHaul what you're towing. It exceeds their weight limits. But it worked fine.

Where's the truck in FL? I'd love to split the cost of towing with you and have you bring a truck down for me from that area but my wife said no more trucks right now.

9. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

I rented a uhaul trailer......it got the job done without incident. May want to bring some extra chains or straps as the tire straps with the uhaul trailer are a little tight. Get on there site uhaul.com and act like you are going make a reservation.....go all the way to the end and it will give you all the info you need. it was cheaper for me to rent it round trip verses on way so I pulled an empty trailer 3 hours no biggie....save like 50 bucks. look at all the options. probably cheaper just to rent one and go get it than having it shipped. Good Luck. :cheers:

10. zetasig

zetasig

U haul trailer or two dolly, I have used both. and towed a 40 with my 4 runner and with my 4 cyl tacoma I had. yeah not advisable but it can be done. 50 bucks for either. 5 hours there, 7 back. rent it on Friday Morning drive down there and then return it on Saturday morning. Easy and with an 80 you should be fine.

11. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I drove to Chicago and bought two cruisers- a 60 and an 80. I then took the 80 to the nearest U-haul and picked up a flat bed trailer I had previously reserved. Then, drove BACK to the dealership and loaded the 60 onto the trailer. Then drove the 80 (pulling the 60) 10 hours back home. Talk about faith!

An 80 will pull a 40 with no troubles.

12. WildYoats

WildYoats SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Hit up a rental place or a friend for a tandem axle trailer and head on down there.