Getting a '18 200! Have some Q's about Apple Car Play and removing the 3rd row seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These are what I have, I actually just put them in a few days ago. Nice product and he sells some that have a ring incorporated as well for tie downs; took about 3 weeks for them to show up from Australia. I probably won't ever use the tie downs, I just wanted a way to plug up the hole before I put drawers in so nothing falls in there and rattles around. You'll also notice the large holes in the carpet which you might want to plug up as well. I have a spare workout mat laying around I think I'm going cut a few pieces to "plug up" the holes in the floor as well

QgSt4kVh.jpg

They are great indeed! Which back seat cover and mat system are you running?

They are great indeed! Which back seat cover and mat system are you running?
Full Canvasback liners; lay down some velcro to the factory carpet to keep them in place, super low profile and vacuums out very easily. So thin I'll probably leave them in with the drawers; I don't expect any interference

Ok, sounds like I need to order the Beat Sonic now so I'll get one when they're back in stock. I've played with the idea of just having the current wheels (no idea what they are, they're a fairly classic looking 5 spoke) powder coated in bronze. They're currently black and the truck is black, I really don't like the "murdered" out look
IMHO, Beatsonic is the way to go if you (like me) do not care for wireless CP or AA.

It is the closest to factory CP/AA. Adds nothing in relation to other "apps", android OS, etc like some of the other units. I have been using it for the past 3 months and it has been flawless, except for my OEM GPS that does not seem to like the Beatsonic unit.

A couple days after I came back from a 2000 mile vacation trip, the factory GPS stopped locking the correct position. I am not 100% sure the cause is the Beatsonic unit, but have heard of other GPS interferences in the past with other CP/AA options. I could not care less. Even before having the Beatsonic, I never really used the crappy factory GPS. Now I only notice it when I turn the car on and before I engage the Beatsonic unit (hold the up arrow in the steering wheel control for 1 second).

Back when I installed I posted a couple pictures of the process. I am sure you will find using the search engine. Good luck!

The EC Offroad unit retains full OEM infotainment functionality, including the factory GPS functionality.

Having lived without and with wireless CarPlay, I have found wireless to be a game changer. For long trips, I do want to plug my iPhone into a charger, but for shorter trips it’s awesome to not have to worry about plugging my phone in so I can use CarPlay.

What're people using for phone mounts?

I currently have it setup on a RAM mount replacing one of the bolts in the grab handle, but someone made the good point of what could happen if that airbag deploys. I just bought the Gamiviti dash accessory mount instead that replaces the center speaker grill and will move it to there instead

meP5Pwjh.jpg

That's a nice option too. Basically the same price as the other bracket/tie down but a more finished look. Where's everyone ordering the HE cargo mat from? I'm more of a German car guy (Order from RM Euro, FCP, etc) so are there similar websites for Toyota that sell OEM parts at a discount?
I ordered mine online from a Toyota dealer near my house. I have the 3D printed covers too. All work really well.

cargo clean.jpeg

There have been posts about building covers for the brackets.. and someone does offer some parts that integrate cargo anchors into them.

You could probably do this easily enough with some kydex. Heat a piece slightly larger than you'll need with a heat gun and mild accordingly. Sand the edges and you're done. It comes in too many colors to count.

I currently have it setup on a RAM mount replacing one of the bolts in the grab handle, but someone made the good point of what could happen if that airbag deploys. I just bought the Gamiviti dash accessory mount instead that replaces the center speaker grill and will move it to there instead

meP5Pwjh.jpg
I initially had the same mount, but I switched to Ram's "quick grip" mount because you put the phone in and take it out easily with one hand.

For the base, I use a console mount from Proclip based on someone's recommendation in another thread on the subject.

50B03283-E7C7-4100-B052-E0F1FA5EBE75.jpeg
54D600E3-2921-4E54-9092-9560475A6BC8.jpeg

I initially had the same mount, but I switched to Ram's "quick grip" mount because you put the phone in and take it out easily with one hand.

For the base, I use a console mount from Proclip based on someone's recommendation in another thread on the subject.

View attachment 2915661View attachment 2915662
How’d you attach the ram quick grip to the Pro clip mount? Does the pro clip mount come with a magnet if you want to use that?

How’d you attach the ram quick grip to the Pro clip mount? Does the pro clip mount come with a magnet if you want to use that?
The Proclip mount has those tiny mounting holes. They're hard to see in the photo. I lined up some of those with the holes on the Ram mount and screwed them together. I also used that 3M industrial strength double-sided tape you get at Home Depot.

Even though it's not necessary (because it clips to the side of the console), I also put some of the same tape on the inside of the Proclip mount.

I will go out and get a photo later. Maybe when it gets above zero 😎.

The Proclip mount has those tiny mounting holes. They're hard to see in the photo. I lined up some of those with the holes on the Ram mount and screwed them together. I also used that 3M industrial strength double-sided tape you get at Home Depot.

Even though it's not necessary (because it clips to the side of the console), I also put some of the same tape on the inside of the Proclip mount.

I will go out and get a photo later. Maybe when it gets above zero 😎.

Does the console mount come with the upright part with the holes in it? They're only showing one pic on their website and it's just the lower part that goes on the console...

i'm going to agree with @greynolds on the EC Offroad. I originally bought naviplus and it was very unstable. They sent me a new main unit and it was worse than the first. Swapped it out for EC Offroad which has been very stable so far and the wireless bit is great. Connects everytime I start up without having to connect the phone physically. I live in the boonies so the factory nav stuff is useless. I rarely use the factory head unit for anything. I use the buttons for climate control and am always running EC offroad which I use for maps when I need.

I'm also running K02 in Wyoming winters. They have performed the best for me over other brands over the years.

What does everyone think of the Falken AT3W tires? They seem to have good reviews...

These are what I have, I actually just put them in a few days ago. Nice product and he sells some that have a ring incorporated as well for tie downs; took about 3 weeks for them to show up from Australia. I probably won't ever use the tie downs, I just wanted a way to plug up the hole before I put drawers in so nothing falls in there and rattles around. You'll also notice the large holes in the carpet which you might want to plug up as well. I have a spare workout mat laying around I think I'm going cut a few pieces to "plug up" the holes in the floor as well

QgSt4kVh.jpg
So I emailed this guy, took him several days to get back to me. Then I told him I wanted a set and was in Colorado and haven't heard from him since, which has been over a week. So I'm going to order the other ones, I just don't feel comfortable buying a part from overseas when someone isn't really good about responding to emails when I want to send them money...

So I emailed this guy, took him several days to get back to me. Then I told him I wanted a set and was in Colorado and haven't heard from him since, which has been over a week. So I'm going to order the other ones, I just don't feel comfortable buying a part from overseas when someone isn't really good about responding to emails when I want to send them money...
He was always very responsive to me given the time difference; I'd usually always hear from him within 12 hours of when I sent an e-mail his way. Did you make sure they didn't get caught in your spam filter?

He got back to me yesterday, looks like everything is set up. Kaon is out of stock on their brackets for at least 5 weeks.

I have the NaviPlus unit installed in my '18. It has gotten a bit more buggy since I installed it in November 2020. The built in bluetooth is useless for phone calls. I leave the phone paired with the factory unit for phone calls and it works perfectly. I've got a Google Pixel 4XL phone using wired Android Auto. I'm about 20 minutes south of Centennial airport, so if you'd like to see it, I can meet up with you somewhere.

I have the NaviPlus unit installed in my '18. It has gotten a bit more buggy since I installed it in November 2020. The built in bluetooth is useless for phone calls. I leave the phone paired with the factory unit for phone calls and it works perfectly. I've got a Google Pixel 4XL phone using wired Android Auto. I'm about 20 minutes south of Centennial airport, so if you'd like to see it, I can meet up with you somewhere.

It seems like the NaviPlus and EC Offroad have more issues since they're really an android part. I like the fact that the Beat Sonic is just an Apple CarPlay module, I don't need an android thing to add apps, etc

It seems like the NaviPlus and EC Offroad have more issues since they're really an android part. I like the fact that the Beat Sonic is just an Apple CarPlay module, I don't need an android thing to add apps, etc
I think you're jumping to an invalid conclusion or 2 here.

First of all, the BeatSonic appears to be using the same hardware that EC Offroad and NaviPlus are using (look of photos of the hardware in use - all 3 are very similar); essentially they're all based on more or less the same hardware. I would be shocked if the BeatSonic isn't using a CarPlay solution that runs on top of Android, but access to Android functionality is locked out just at it is with Naviplus.

Second of all, the EC Offroad doesn't exactly have a ton of issues, especially if you only use the CarPlay / Android Auto functionality. Installing 3rd party Android apps from the app store generally works fine, but some apps don't work well with the oldish version of Android.

The main differences between these units are largely going to be:

1. What version of Android is running
2. Which CarPlay app the company decided to go with (EC Offroad uses Zlink)
3. What version of the CarPlay app is installed
4. How locked down is general Android functionality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom