Builds Getting 81' 40 running again after 9 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to give her a quick wash today. Needed some for the insurance company anyway.
20200410_171102.jpg

Well I got some new (safe!) tires mounted up and have taken it for several short trips. It starts well and idles better than ever with the City Racer carb, but not quite like the other sewing machines I hear on here so I'm going to check timing and adjust the valves.

I also picked up a vacuum gauge and am excited to decode what's going on inside. After a few rides I sprang a leak in the radiator and the slave cylinder so I'll be swapping those out too along with the new muffler. All for now!
20200424_171559.jpg

20200501_181826.jpg

Hi, My bet from some of my cruisers is that you need to drop the tank and clean it and the fuel lines. Otherwise you will fight issues with fuel delivery for years. Mike

Mike- So far the sediment collection in my fuel filter has stabilized and not caused a flow issue. I so hate the thought of dropping the tank. I have replaced the rubber and flushed the steel lines. Thanks

Well it didn't take long for my old aftermarket starter to die. I think that was my third one in the 9 years I drove it.

After poking around I decided to go with one of @ToyotaMatt compact Denso starters. I really wasn't concerned about size, but since I'm also replacing the clutch slave cylinder I can see where a bit of extra room might be handy.

As a side note: This was my first time dealing with Matt. As a daily dreamer of owning my own website/ business someday, I'm really impressed with with his level of customer service and attention to detail. He answered a ton of questions for me. I should also point out I also had a positive experience a few months back when I purchased from Cruiser Outfitters. This community is serving me well.
Here are a few shots of the old vs new.
20200515_163534.jpg

20200515_163609.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t have one, but will be getting something soon

Can someone tell me what fuse this is? Its located about 12 inches from the firewall on passenger side. Was originally in a white fuse holder that crumbled in my hand.

I had a ‘76, but my son in law had an ‘85 FJ60, so I am familiar with later cruisers too.
Just from reading the schematic, it looks like the fuse for the engine cooling fan.

On my US 81...its the fuse for Factory AC. The Carb cooling fan fuse is in an identical holder, but located under the dash directly behind/above the AC controls to the right of the steering wheel.

and "Cooler" on the schematics generally refer to the AC. You will find this in several places (battery tray, fan belts, condenser, etc.)...any area where there is a modification for factory AC.

I actually posted photos of the same fuse a few days ago in this old post about factory air in an 81, so it appears this is the original location as mine looks identical:

and...you will likely be looking for this soon enough...the carb cooling fan fuse, you need to remove the AC controls to get to it:

check fuse 1st.jpg

Last edited:
Well I was not aware my 81 ever had air. I was simply asking because the white holder has turned to brittle it fell apart in my hand. I've since wrapped it in a section of rubber hose and sealed with electrical tape until I can locate a proper holder.

On another note, after installing my new starter it appears my alternator is not working. I'm getting only 12.10v with engine running and lights on. It could certainly be a wiring issue, but nothing has changed with it since 2002. Is this alternator even available anymore? Same housing so I don't have to change my bracket etc.
20200517_211437.jpg

20200517_211329.jpg

20200517_211359.jpg

Well I was not aware my 81 ever had air.

it may have been removed long ago...but there are tell tale signs. The location and style of battery tray is different for one. The original radiator is different, plus the added condenser and brackets for it which may have also been removed. can you post an image of the entire engine bay?

I know it was not equipped with power steering. Were they offered separately or only as a package?

@Coolerman Need help diagnosing this alternator not charging.

12.5 at the battery not running
12.5 at B Post not running
12.05 at green plug black wire with yellow stripe not running but key on. 0.00 with key off.
2.58 at green plug big yellow wire not running key on.
0.00 at green plug big yellow wire key off.
15900134841017033688804274299825.jpg

Last edited:
Well after testing to my capabilities, I dropped the alternator off at the local rebuilder. He called today with the news it was ready, and only needed new brushes:bounce:

Also installed new muffler. Had to grind off old bolts and since it was Friday I picked up some Dorman bolts and flare nuts. Hope this doesn't have any significant effects vs the OEM exhaust nuts??
20200528_154650.jpg

20200529_172618.jpg

Last edited:
Nice 40 Jason. I look forwards to checking it out. You're in Ocala so make sure you make it out to the next club ride! :)

Thanks. I’ll do my best provided I know about it:)

Can some tell me what this wire is for. I think it's supposed to be just inside the firewall?
20200603_115116.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom