Get back into a 200 or keep new ‘22 Silverado ZR2? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I’m faced with a delimma and while it’s ultimately my choice, some feedback from my mud family is appreciated. So, currently I own my 2nd Silverado ZR2 due to the first having paint peeling from all 4 doors and the hood. Since I do like the truck overall, I thought I would roll the dice on another ZR2 after the first dealer took the truck back and unwound the deal. Four weeks into this truck and the bottom of all four doors and hood are peeling as well. I’ve touched up the bottom of the doors and hood until Chevy comes up with a fix. The bodyshop wants to remove all doors, panels, hood, and associating hardware to correctly fix and reassemble…truck has 612 miles as she sits.

Therein lies my dilemma which is I found a ‘19 LC with low miles (southern rig one owner and no accidents). The dealer is offering it to me for market value and offering me more than what I paid for my truck. Now, will the touch up paint hold and I never have any more issues? Maybe. It’s still a new truck with nice features.

I’ve owned both a 100 and 200 series and know first hand the build quality and reliability associated with both. This truck has me concerned and while the mechanical side of it performs well thus far, its still a Chevy. My ‘21 Ford Raptor was even worse build quality. Side note, I don’t need a truck as I’m not a contractor but a home owner with an occasional trip to lowes. Therefore, do I dump the new truck on the 200 or keep the truck in the hope Chevy fixes the paint issues and the 6.2 doesn’t have lifter issues? Admittedly, I miss my ‘11 LC and Japan build quality but is going backwards 3 years and paying essentially sticker price for the LC the right move? This is my internal fight 😩😁

Last edited:
I’d focus first on which vehicle best fits your mission. A full size truck vs. the 200 are very different experiences. If the truck fits the bill in every way then either stay the path or look at a Tundra. It does, however, sound like you’ve answered your own question. Quality displays itself in the driveway, not on the showroom floor. Once you’ve owned a J-VIN Toyota it’s a hard thing for other vehicles to live up to.

I’d focus first on which vehicle best fits your mission. A full size truck vs. the 200 are very different experiences. If the truck fits the bill in every way then either stay the path or look at a Tundra. It does, however, sound like you’ve answered your own question. Quality displays itself in the driveway, not on the showroom floor. Once you’ve owned a J-VIN Toyota it’s a hard thing for other vehicles to live up to.
Well said. Trucks are utilitarian and convenient for sure. However, I rarely use the bed…and I mean rarely. It is comfortable, and rides well with the ZR2 tuned shocks. It looks aggressive and is fun to drive. BUT, when 2 of these trucks have poor paint/build quality issues immediately, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The 200 series is mint and I know what I’m getting with it. I miss the driving experience and feeling connected to a J-Vin Toyota like you said. No other vehicle has ever done that for me. But, I really do like the truck regardless of its down falls. The hard part mentally is going backwards 3 years and paying over $10k more for the LC.

Last edited:
From your post I do not get the feeling that you actually need a truck bed or that you are attached somehow to it. Going back 3 years is not much as LC has not changed a lot in the last 3 years. The LC in question didn't get much use if it got 15k miles in 3 years. It does look like LC is more suited to your needs but I may be wrong, so you should ask yourself that question.
In regard to paint fixing - I would not trust Chevy fixing it unless they give you a new truck or new from factory panels. But they failed already at it so even then I would not trust them much. Do they also provide an extended warranty for that issue?
I would trust a good paint shop to remove, strip, and repaint them with quality paint. But that is more than $6000 around my place for a top quality paint job on 4 doors and the hood. Keep in mind they will have to blend the front and rear fenders - a lot of work.

I personally pick the LC no doubt.

I won’t comment on my love for 200 series or my belief that it’s better built than 99.9% of vehicles on the road. That much probably goes without saying.

That being said, I have one burning question for you: what would you consider to be an unacceptable first 700 miles of ownership for a brand new truck? Would it need to catch fire? Would it need to require multiple trips to the dealer for service? How much worse would it need to get than disintegrating in your driveway for you to question the long term ownership experience of the vehicle?

What you’re describing in your quick summary of owning two brand new 2022 Chevrolet pickup trucks is the exact reason I am on this forum.

I hope you are able to find a solution that works well for you.

Looks like the only objective question is the $10K. Are they available or do you have to stretch for them.

Regarding the paint. Fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me. Regardless I would bail on the vehicle and go with something else. Whether that is the LC or something else is difficult. In my case I inherited my father's Taco. So with that I have both.

Looks like the only objective question is the $10K. Are they available or do you have to stretch for them.
Thanks to you and @CT3 for the replies.
Yes, I’m fortunate and blessed so the $10k is available and not a stretch.

You both make great points and the fact that both new ZR2’s have serious issues is a testament to Chevy’s poor build quality and lack of quality control (many ZR2 and Silverado owners are having paint and 6.2 lifter problems). This scares me and while there are many things to like about the truck, I don’t think I will ever feel confident about my current ZR2 even if the paint issues are fixed.

Not a real question. 200 series.

All these (insert truck) or my 200 series questions crack me up! The question is only asked so you feel good about doing what you want to do anyway.

Not a real question. 200 series.

All these (insert truck) or my 200 series questions crack me up! The question is only asked so you feel good about doing what you want to do anyway.
You’re absolutely correct, I am looking for justification to feel good about what I want to do. However, I do value and listen to logic and rationale from current 200 members to ensure I have all the ammunition to make sure I’m making the right decision. I relish the feedback of current 200 owners to either put me in my place or give their praise for the 200, which sometimes doesn’t happen believe it or not. I haven’t been in the 200 game for over 5 years and love to listen to those of you that maybe recently left the 200 for a truck, or vice versa and had regrets. Those experiences sometimes aid in making a well informed decision.

You’re absolutely correct, I am looking for justification to feel good about what I want to do. However, I do value and listen to logic and rationale from current 200 members to ensure I have all the ammunition to make sure I’m making the right decision. I relish the feedback of current 200 owners to either put me in my place or give their praise for the 200, which sometimes doesn’t happen believe it or not. I haven’t been in the 200 game for over 5 years and love to listen to those of you that maybe recently left the 200 for a truck, or vice versa and had regrets. Those experiences sometimes aid in making a well informed decision.

Are you asking a group or Chevy owners the same question about switching to a used Toyota Landcruiser?

If so, what is their take on the matter?

Are you asking a group or Chevy owners the same question about switching to a used Toyota Landcruiser?

If so, what is their take on the matter?
Ironically, yes I have/did. And, as I assumed they would, most are loyal diehard Chevy owners that don’t believe removing 4 doors and a hood only four weeks and 600 miles into ownership to paint is a big deal. Loyal owners of any brand are mostly blind to the real truth or are in denial. I expect bias here, but this forum has members that are brutally honest as well which is why I love this forum.

Silverado is a piece of junk. Look underneath.
I never have, but what specifically are you referring to? I will say my tailpipes are not even and the left hangs significantly lower than my right.

I never have, but what specifically are you referring to? I will say my tailpipes are not even and the left hangs significantly lower than my right.
Frame, quality of welds, size of hardware and bolting, suspension/control arm size, driveline size. Everything is made to be the cheapest it can be in the GM. Par for the course for American Big 3…..

It is really quite simple:
If you need the truck bed, then you have to get a truck.
Don't really need a truck? the LC or other SUVs will be better in almost every way.

Going backwards 3 years and paying over $10k more for the LC is what you are putting in now to get the reliability (during) and resale value (after) 5 (or xx) years of ownership. There is no other reason the LC commands such a premium other than this fact...

You just don’t have good luck with American trucks! Two Chevys and one Ford gone bad in two years?!

Tundra? Tacoma? If you need truck.

The problem is that you need to avoid pandemic-era vehicles!! My 2022 Honda Ridgeline has issues that are unbecoming of Hondas.

2019 LC looks perfect from where I sit typing this out. :D

And we all know that 2019 is the best test for LC, not because I own a 2019 also mind you.

Last edited:
Just go all out and the get the Hummer EV3x 😎🤪 I just ordered one but know I can flip it if we end up not liking it. I won’t give up my 200 for it or anything else. I love not wondering if this is the month my 200 will be headed to Toyota for some issue. It just works and does exactly what I need it to do.

Last edited:
If after 113 years in business GM can’t get paint right, what else can’t they do?

I know what I would do.

Out hard reading those paint jobs failures. What an embarrassing final product they allowed out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom