get away with 4 new tires

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by stayalert, Oct 26, 2005.

1. stayalert

stayalert

instead of 5. Friend is looking at getting new tires and I tell him get 5 BFG AT 285/70/R16's and be done with it..He sez his reciever hitch might not accept the drawbar if that bigger spare is put in there...he's thinking of getting 4 new tires and running a stock sized spare. I say go with 5...what say you all?

truck is '94 fz80

I also am pitching him on a slee rear bumper tire carrier....

2. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I was able to fit 295/75-16's on my 80's spare tire location with the oem hitch. I towed occassionally. To be sure, he can get down there and measure with the drawbar in place.

3. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips

you mean 285 75 16?

I say he needs to go to a used tire place and find one decent looking 285 75 16 BFG ta ko to use as his spare

you will find there are more than a few 285 75 16 ta ko's at your local used tire place

you should be able to pick up a decent looking 285 with a fair amount of tread left for less than $25

get the spare tire FIRST but dont get it mounted until you go get your 4 new tires

heck - Ive got a pretty ta ko sitting in my garage Id sell to you for a spare 'cept shipping would be a PITA

4. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Dude, they all need to be the same size, hence the fulltime4wd. Otherwise if he has to use the spare and it's a different size, he's going to bugger up the drive train.

5. Montana Cruiser

Montana Cruiser

What's everyone's thoughts on having a spare in the same size ...... but a different tire? Specifically, running 4 new Revo's with a BFG AT spare, are they any problems there?

6. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Specifically, long trips will boil the xfer case. (which isn't REALLY an xfer case- it's a third diff. )

7. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    A spare of a different tread pattern is no concern really, the center diff will only 'see' overall diameter, not brands.

8. Montana Cruiser

Montana Cruiser

That was I was thinking as well. I can see wanting the same tire if you are out wheeling in serious stuff all the time ..... but I'm not to that point yet and until I am, I wont sweat it.

9. terry.mc

terry.mc

Properly situated, a brand new 285/75/16 BFG AT will fit fine and still allow a hitch in the reciever.

I had to slightly repostion the wheel in the carrier to get the room needed. The tire place positioned the wheel rearward in the carrier and I rotated the wheel in it's holder to move it forward.

10. shocker

shocker

Depending on the brand, though, there can be slight variances in the "actual" vs. listed sizes.

315 Goodyear MTR's can be almost an inch shorter than 315 Swampers, for example.

11. Montana Cruiser

Montana Cruiser

True, just got the specs off TireRack

Revo's = 33"
    BFG AT KO = 32.8"

I would assume thats not enough variance to fuss with for short term spare use?

On a side note, is the BFG "AT" the same tire as the BFG AT "KO"? And what does "KO" stand for?

12. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Hmmmm.... i have the truxus MTRs in 33s. I can put my tow bar on and reciever and it all works just fine. I usually have the tow bar off when wheelin' because it gets banged on pretty bad.

13. stayalert

stayalert

Zactly. He was thinking of cars with donuts and saying that its Ok for them :rolleyes:

14. shocker

shocker

The "AT KO"s are the newest (well, about 4 years old now) incarnation of the AT. I don't think you can get the ATs anywhere anymore.

Not sure what the KO stands for.

The tread is exactly the same appearance wise, only there is more sidewall tread on the KO's than the previous AT.

15. stayalert

stayalert

I have AT KO's on my truck and they are great. Tons of tread left after a few years and lots of miles.

16. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

The drawbar might not go back far enough to insert the pin even with stock tires.

A couple weeks ago, I went to pick up a truck-bed trailer that I bought...I couldn't find my bolt on receiver, so I took the wife's LX 450. Hers still has stock Michelins -- the spare is an unused original :eek:

When I got there and was ready to hitch the trailer up, I found that the drawbar wouldn't go back far enough for me to insert the pin. I had to remove the tire, throw it in the back and then complete hitching the trailer.

So...if a larger tire is stashed under the rig in the OEM location -- your friend might simply need to modify his drawbar by drilling a hole farther back, simply get a drawbar that will work.

17. terry.mc

terry.mc

It fits fine. If you are having issues try lowering the tire a bit and re-orient the tire in the holder. It will fit just fine with 33's, let alone the stockers.

18. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I moved that sucker around...no dice. The only way it would work is if I had the tire way off kilter -- almost dragging. I tried a number of times because I didn't want to pull the tire off.

19. -uhuru-

-uhuru-

Media:
    a buddy of mine managed to fit 36 x 13.5 irocks under there on an HZJ80... thats without a tow hitch... I saw it myself but he says it bottoms out alot so I would figure that anything under 35 should fit smoothly

20. RavenTai

RavenTai

I know it is arguing semantics but Where is this coming from? I have seen it several times here but Toyota seams to disagree.

It is not an AWD car system where a viscous coupler would bew the only connection frotn to rear, it is closer to a truck drive train, it has high low and is capable of “Full time 4 wheel drive” and a more traditional “part time” mode, I know the differences are subtle and the lines blurry but I don’t see where the idea that there is not a transfer case in an 80 came from.

1996 LX450 New Car Features manual

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.