german shepherd/ huskey gromer -trimmer needed. What to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I have a german shepherd/huskey mix. His hair is really thick and he has an inner layer of hair for protection agianst subzero temps. Unfortunately, it gets to be over a hundred here and we went from mid 60s to high 80s in a few days. I tried to use a human hair trimmer/shaver and it could not cut the hair. It bound up on the first try. THe only thing that shaves him is a sheep shear trimmer. But that cuts his hair almost off to teh skin (image a beard trimmer with no guard). His hair is almost white and with it shaved off that close, he sun burns.

Does anyone know what type of shaver to buy that will maybe leave 1/2 or 3/4 inch of hair on him? He is shedding and I can fill 5 big glad yard bags with his hair if i use a brush. It isn't fun so I need to shave hmi. Any suggestions on what to buy that will be strong enough to trim the dog would be great.

I have huskies. Trimming them is a bad idea. Their hair insulates them from both cold and hot. Do some research before you get out the shear. It's been years since I read up about it and I don't trust my memory to give you accurate info, but do check into it before you hurt your dog.

-Spike

We have a 14 Yo German Shepherd/ Husky mix too we take once a year to the groomers, like $45. and get her all trimmed up she seams to like It, and our Vet said It's Ok, he had us use a sun block/bug repellent on her for month or so...
DSCF0543.jpg

I would recommend brushing over shearing.

Their coats are amazing.

I would use a rake comb to strip undercoat and a slicker brush to work the guard coat.

There is a new tool on the market that uses half a clipper blade that seems do work very well on GSDs - it is called the FURminator:

I would opt for those over clipping.

Remember, they don't call them German Shedders for nothing...

There is a new tool on the market that uses half a clipper blade that seems do work very well on GSDs - it is called the FURminator:

I have filled grocery sacks with hair using this brush. It works really well.

I have that brush too. He loves it when his hair is shorn off. We keep a kiddie pool filled up with water for him to soak in when it gets between 90 and 110 degrees. He loves it and pants less when he is trimmed. He also cannot come and sleep inside when he sheds like this at night. It takes a few weeks for it to stop, even with daily gooming (and yes, too many garbage bags to count of hair).

We also have a pool. He sheds so much that the hair gets into the pool and clogs the filter just from blowing into it,

I wanted to try to find a trimmer that was around 50 bucks so I can do it myself instead of taking him to te groomer every year.

I sheer one of my dogs at least twice a year. He is a dog that stays outdoors and gets a layer of felt next to his skin, then his hair gets 5" long in the winter. If I dont sheer him, the next winter it turns into dread locks with all of the dirt and sticks in it.

I use a Ostar A5 for trimming. It was about $150 and has worked well for many years. My wife has also used it on our horses and goats. It also is the same model that our large animal vet uses.

BTW you can put clips on the front to control the length of cut.

Good luck

I like that one. DId you get it online or a farm supply store?

We have a GSD as well. Obviously not as long and thick as Husky hair, but GSDs have that double coat that sheds so bad. Even in winter we have to vaccuum every day. I HATE dealing with the mess of trimming so we take her to Petsmart every year. For the money, you can't beat the Zoom Groom by the same folks who make the Kong. Let us know whaat you end up doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom