Georgia: Who's done an H55 swap in GA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a new-to-me 1989 FJ62, and of course the H55 swap is on the top of the list, but I wanted to see who, local has had it done by a mechanic or done it themselves...
  • If you had it done by a mechanic, who did it, and if you can share how spendy was it?
  • If you did it yourself, let me know! I may not be able to take this off the road for as long as it would take me to do it... but maybe?
I don't have circumstances that make me have to do this mod right away, far as I can tell the 280K mile slushbox is functional... but I'm always planning for the next thing :)

I have a new-to-me 1989 FJ62, and of course the H55 swap is on the top of the list, but I wanted to see who, local has had it done by a mechanic or done it themselves...
  • If you had it done by a mechanic, who did it, and if you can share how spendy was it?
  • If you did it yourself, let me know! I may not be able to take this off the road for as long as it would take me to do it... but maybe?
I don't have circumstances that make me have to do this mod right away, far as I can tell the 280K mile slushbox is functional... but I'm always planning for the next thing :)
You can do it. Do you have any mechanical skills? It’s the transfer case rebuild that’s the big part of that job. Also, making sure your transmission is mounted safely to the jack is pretty paramount because that sucker is heavy and lop sided. It wants to tip to the passenger side if you don’t have it secure. You will need a 20 ton press for the t case and a set of pilot bearing pullers to get the needle bearing out of the 4wd shaft.

I used the harbor freight transmission jack modified with plywood to bolt transmission mount to jack, pilot bearing pullers (modified with a grinder to fit), and the 20 ton press with several sockets to make it happen.

It’s not very difficult. I did it alone in a parking lot during 20 degree temps and a snow storm. It’s just heavy and time consuming.

I have minimal experience, but I removed my engine and transmission out of my BJ 60 in a week and a half, pretty much by myself. As far as the trans goes, I pulled mine out with a normal floor jack with my dad to balance it while it came out.

I think you could do the swap by yourself. However, you will need a new mounting point for your cross member to bolt on to the frame. You will also need a clutch pedal, master and……. Just look here-https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-4-speed-manual-transmission-conversion.225792/

Point is, you can do it.

There's a bit more work to do than just "Swapping" the Auto for a 5 Speed. There's parts to acquire and a bit of fabrication that needs to be done.
But it most definitely can be done. I plan on doing this swap myself when my A440F s***s the bed. Plenty of info here, what part of Georgia you in?

Your last sentiment is the best sentiment. I would roll with the Auto for as long as you can. Once it decides to go to then do the swap.

Your last sentiment is the best sentiment. I would roll with the Auto for as long as you can. Once it decides to go to then do the swap.
Might as well just neutral drop it now.

You can do it. Do you have any mechanical skills? It’s the transfer case rebuild that’s the big part of that job. Also, making sure your transmission is mounted safely to the jack is pretty paramount because that sucker is heavy and lop sided. It wants to tip to the passenger side if you don’t have it secure. You will need a 20 ton press for the t case and a set of pilot bearing pullers to get the needle bearing out of the 4wd shaft.

I used the harbor freight transmission jack modified with plywood to bolt transmission mount to jack, pilot bearing pullers (modified with a grinder to fit), and the 20 ton press with several sockets to make it happen.

It’s not very difficult. I did it alone in a parking lot during 20 degree temps and a snow storm. It’s just heavy and time consuming.
But the questions is… how LONG did it take you to do it alone? I feel like I read your thread about this endeavor… I’m pretty sure I’ve read them all.

There's a bit more work to do than just "Swapping" the Auto for a 5 Speed. There's parts to acquire and a bit of fabrication that needs to be done.
But it most definitely can be done. I plan on doing this swap myself when my A440F s***s the bed. Plenty of info here, what part of Georgia you in?
Ya I’ve definitely read lots of threads about it, I may do it before I absolutely have to (like when the A440 dies) just to minimize emergency protocols 🤣 but definitely just feeling out the process and if there’s any local shade tree H55 gurus close by.

I’m real close to Perimeter Mall in Atlanta… 12 o’clock on 285.

I will see if I can wait… I grew up with a 62 so I’m gonna remember really quickly how much of a pig that a440 is real quick…

But the questions is… how LONG did it take you to do it alone? I feel like I read your thread about this endeavor… I’m pretty sure I’ve read them all.
I think it was 3-4 days. And I was very cold too with little workspace. If you’ve got a decent spot to work and you’re handy enough you can get it done in a weekend. I had to run out and get new tools that I forgot or thought I needed but didn’t need in the end… so there’s that.

I think it was 3-4 days. And I was very cold too with little workspace. If you’ve got a decent spot to work and you’re handy enough you can get it done in a weekend. I had to run out and get new tools that I forgot or thought I needed but didn’t need in the end… so there’s that.
How EXACLY did you end up in that situation? I thought landCruisers are dependable.

How EXACLY did you end up in that situation? I thought landCruisers are dependable.
Land cruiser was reliable. Housing is not. I was borrowing my friend’s garage for this swap and he had his Miata parked in the garage the whole time and I had to work around it. The garage was not heated. My truck was parked on the side street around the corner from his place so I had to do a lot of walking back and forth. Dragged the old transmission down the street and up his driveway on the jack. Dragged the new one down. Yeah, I would prefer to do it in warm weather, but I had the money to buy the transmission and jumped on it knowing I would be leaving Colorado and wanted the 5th gear for the highways. I also had two paid weeks off that month and decided a transmission swap was a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom