Georgia Traverse - MLK Weekend Cancelled - Winter Run (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need someone going on this from GreenVegas to take a couple bottles of brown liquid to hand off to Eric Forrest who will then deliver them to their new homes in the 8th state to join the original 13 colonies and the 12th state to join the union!

I might have been the only one that didn't last year. I will let the others chime in.
TLDR: not likely to help.
I've struggled with this scenario for a while. I'm bringing a Big Buddy heater and a 20lb tank. But, not sure it matters. A legit sleeping bag, pad, sleep clothing, sleeping protocol, etc is the key. I've read a ton on sleeping with a Buddy heater in a tent and how to stay warm / not die. It has an CO sensor but a back up battery carbon monoxide detector is still highly recommended. We used mine recently on the BB trip in the morning to warm up the inside of the 40. It was freezing cold and foggy (i.e very high humidity). It didn't help. Same trip, we tried it temporarily in an REI Half Dome tent- it didn't help and it melted part of it. With low temps and high humidity, the 4000-9000 BTU just isn't enough. My plan is to bring it but not rely upon it. Something, something law of thermodynamics. Basically, it needs dry air, small space, and fresh oxygen to "work." Getting all 3 is hard in camping conditions. Humans survived for 10,000 years without a Cabela's-sold Little Buddy or Big Buddy in cold climates. It's not the cold that is bad, it's the wet cold. A zipped up small tent is way worse - even with a heater. Same effect in a cruiser. Condensation from breath is the real issue. Few heaters, unless they dry the air like a home unit, will accomplish much. It's why outfitters tent, gypsy wagons, sheep herder wagons, log cabins, etc all rely upon wood stoves. They dry out the air. Propane does the opposite. Ok for short term heat, but 8 hours of sleep is a different story. It will add to the dampnesss as it burns, which in turns makes everything feel colder and wet.

Last edited:
FYI - Eyssen arrival time Thursday is late. I have a neighborhood meeting in Mauldin on Thursday at 6:30pm. After that, Luke & I are headed to the rally point (ETA 10pm?). If anyone is leaving from Greenville/Mauldin/Simpsonville Thursday night let me know. Either way, if we aren't at DeSoto Falls by Friday am send a search party. If found but dead, donate my Buddy heater to the OSNC Relic Run raffle. Include the fore said warning please.

Last edited:
Need someone going on this from GreenVegas to take a couple bottles of brown liquid to hand off to Eric Forrest who will then deliver them to their new homes in the 8th state to join the original 13 colonies and the 12th state to join the union!
Bring it to Birds Fly South tonight if you can make it. If Eric doesn't show tonight, I will hand off on this trip. After that, it is on him and the camp fire whether it makes it back to the state with the tallest waterfall and mountain in the eastern US, and home to Babe Ruth's first professional home run.

It feels like winter has returned. Good timing for some snowflakes to arrive in my mailbox.
2655897779071458088%253Faccount_id%253D1

1 week out forecast for Blue Ridge, GA. I have been looking daily and the chance of rain keeps shifting. Current prediction is about 3 hours of rain overnight on Friday with temps above freezing. No problem, and no dust on the roads. Temps at night are cold, but not terrible.
upload_2019-1-10_8-28-2.png

The alternate weekend: Right now I don't see jumping a week as a necessity, but this is what is could look like. The nights will be colder but days nicer with clear/sunny skies. The amount of snow and rain, combined with subfreezing temperatures on Thursday night, will likely cause road issues with ice and fallen trees for Friday's departure.
upload_2019-1-10_8-32-43.png

Ah winter weather in the southern mountains. :confused:

The stickers look real good!

For those going Thursday, what is your planned ETA?
I'm going Thursday, getting off work a little early. Will definitely be getting there after dark.

Tentatively planning on leaving around 09:00, with a 6 hour drive will probably get there 3ish. Are you planning on bringing the Solo Stove?
Yeah ,I'm bringing the solo stove.

Anyone bringing a pop up awning for a cook shack?

The weather forcast is firming up to be a wet and cold weekend (3/4” of precip on Saturday). Next weekend is forecast to cold, but dry. I have a mind to move this back a week but know that may impact some of you. Since it is not a vital move, I am interested in your thoughts.

1: @Bryanseye
2: @FrackMacker
3: @IcutYourCruiser
4: @forrest5000
5: @Clickws
6: @fj40alex
7: @Carp
8: @SCDerby
9: @SFROMAN
10: @Salty Dog
11: @ceby

Do whatever you think is best for the group however I cant make the following weekend I’m scheduled to volunteer at uwharrie

The weather forcast is firming up to be a wet and cold weekend (3/4” of precip on Saturday). Next weekend is forecast to cold, but dry. I have a mind to move this back a week but know that may impact some of you. Since it is not a vital move, I am interested in your thoughts.

1: @Bryanseye
2: @FrackMacker
3: @IcutYourCruiser
4: @forrest5000
5: @Clickws
6: @fj40alex
7: @Carp
8: @SCDerby
9: @SFROMAN
10: @Salty Dog
11: @ceby

I'm looking at a tentative for this weekend due to some unforeseen work travel that has popped up this week. I won't know for sure until Wednesday night whether I'm in or out.

I am def out for MLK weekend. I might be able to make it the following weekend.

Make the decision you feel is best for the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom