George's LED's

offroadkid

I went over to George's house today to pick-up my LED maplight and two dome's. That guy is really, really cool. We hung out in his garage for about an hour and a half just talking about everything!! When I got home, I popped them in no problem, but I can't tell if they work until the sun goes down :D

I ordered my door LED's from Superbright, and I also ordered two 1142 bulbs to swap out the ones in our pop-up trailer. I thought since I was outfitting the Cruiser, why not do the trailer too! It will be alot brighter inside and hardly draw anything from the deep cycle battery.

Spook50

Get ready

I still gotta order a couple from him. Don't you have to slightly mod it to get it to fit into the cargo light's socket? I seem to remember a quick how-to for modding it, but can't remember if it was for an FJ60/62 or not...

Spook,
I got George's lights and poped them right in. Had no problem at all. One of the best mods that I have done and well worth it.

offroadkid

Spook50 said:
I still gotta order a couple from him. Don't you have to slightly mod it to get it to fit into the cargo light's socket? I seem to remember a quick how-to for modding it, but can't remember if it was for an FJ60/62 or not...
There's no mod necessary for the 80, but here's a link to tips on installation for a 60 from Jim Brantley. Taken from www.taskled.com

OK,
What are these George's LED's and what do they do? Everyone seems to like them, so I must have them! ;p .
Is there pictures of these things, and how do I get them?

Thanks
Kent

Safado

Funny this came up...I went out to the garage yesterday and saw the LED's on in my truck...they'd been that way since one of the In-Laws didn't shut the door fully...2 days previously. She started right up. They're great.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor

I guess I don't understand. They have LED bulbs that will fit and work for any 12v light application. The dome light one I really don't understand. Why do they have this eloborate PC board attached to them instead of a resistor?

Why buy this festoon bulb

When this will work just as well

or just cut the end off of this and wire this up and have a really bright dome light.

I'm sure there has to be a reason for going with all the circuity on the other styles.

I bought all 22 LEDS for my fj40 and it took me 20 minutes to install all of them. With no modification. It was just a matter of unplugging the old and putting the new in. I ended up spending about $120 dollars on the whole thing. Which is about what 3 setups cost on that site. I can leave all my lights on except the headlights for a week without running the batteries down.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

Trollhole said:
I guess I don't understand. They have LED bulbs that will fit and work for any 12v light application. The dome light one I really don't understand. Why do they have this eloborate PC board attached to them instead of a resistor?

Why buy this festoon bulb

When this will work just as well

...I'm sure there has to be a reason for going with all the circuity on the other styles.
Best person to ask would be George :D
The type of bulb he uses puts out MUCH more light than other types of LED bulbs...that might be a reason for the circuit board.

One thing to note on the superbright LED product. In comparing the ones I bought for the wife's 80 doors (the 6 bulb version) is NOWHERE near as bright as George's 3 bulb door LED (I bought this from George back when he was making them for doors too).

My lights have been installed for about 4 years now...never had a problem, still as mega-bright as always.
Thanks for a great product George :cheers:

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!

Yep - I have them too, Love the lights. Just last weekend my kids left the door open on the cruiser all weekend...not battery drain, the truck started right up! :)

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor

I figured it out. Its a LED but a special kind. Puts out a lot more heat than a regular LED and draws more current but lasts a long time. Anywhere from 1 to 5 watts. I'm assuming he is using 1watt bulbs. Great product if you want a lot of light. Not so great on the current draw and heat output. Thats why they have heatsinks. And they are expensive to buy.

I'll stick with the LEDS since I have plenty of light inside my guages and turn signals. But would be a good idea to go with Luxeon LEDs for interior lighting because of there brightness.

I like the idea and learn something new every day. These types of lights will be the wave of the future. They are already putting them into headlights. And with a 100k hr life expectancy. They are hard to beat.

Cool site to look at where you can actually make some of your own.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Luxeon.htm

http://www.theledlight.com/LuxeonLEDs.html

I think (I dont know for sure) the circuitry is a current regulator; the resistor serves the same purpose but is not as accurate under voltage fluctuations. Also a resistor becomes part of the load wasting the excess wattage as heat, a good current regulator will have very little overhead so most of the power consumed is being used by the LED not the regulator.

The LUXEON does produce some heat but no where near the amount as the incandescent bulbs you are replacing, I don’t know for sure but I would think if you put that many regular LEDS in a single spot to get that much light they would produce a similar amount of heat as the LUXEON,

Either way the Georges LED's are much brighter and draw about 1 tenth the power of the incandescent they replace, they will also last much longer.

Had a post a wile ago that “did the math” on current draw

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=20876

fjwagon

I got one about a year ago and it rocks.....i used it as a dome light. To me the LED'S are not as bright as the one George sells but I use the LED's too.....they have their uses too in my opinion.

97 FZJ80

One thing to note on the superbright LED product. In comparing the ones I bought for the wife's 80 doors (the 6 bulb version) is NOWHERE near as bright as George's 3 bulb door LED (I bought this from George back when he was making them for doors too).
Regarding the Superbright (also carried under other brands) 194/168 LED replacements.

Superbright's 6 LED version puts out less usable light than their 5 LED wide angle version when used in the door of the 80. I, too, had George's 3 LED replacement for the door bulbs. After two failures (the first time George replaced the defective one), I changed all the door lights over to the superbright 5 LED lights. The 5 LED lights are just as bright as George's older 3-LED lights, and they are regulated to reduce the chance of failure from voltage spikes, as I have been told. I've since had one failure on the 5 LED bulbs - go figure :rolleyes:

Since George no longer makes his 194 LED replacements, the 5 LED wide angle is a very good LED replacement light that is just as bright.

I also have George's Luxeon lights on all three dome lights and the dual-luxeon replacement for the maplight.

Top Bottom