George Scolara Sliders - Fab estimate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone on the list had George S sliders fabricated by a metal shop? What was the price quote/cost to do the job? Or does anyone have a (reasonablely informed :D) estimate?

Cheers, Hugh

The steel for my sliders was right around $200. I went way overboard and used 1/4 2x4 rectang tube for the main part, 1 1/2 square tube out from the frame, 1/4 x4 flat stock at the frame, 2 x .063 round tube for the loop and spreaders. I suspect Slee will be cheaper than having someone do it plus the materials plus the powder coating.

I did not get a price, however the person at the shop, (a friend), told me the only way to save money would be to do it myself. I am not a welder fablicator so that idea was out the window. He said for him to do it would be way more than the slee sliders because of the labour and fitting. Making a one of, costs alot, making many decreases costs. Economy of scale.
Just my 25 cents worth.
Sean

Since I'm a little late to the game - could anybody tell me what the Scolara sliders are? Is there blueprints out for slider bars for a 80?

Any links would be appreciated since I really wiped out my slush fund with my last Slee purchase, and I already own a wirefeed and a stone saw. More time than money is the tune I'm whistlin' right now.

Hugh, if you can find it check out my old thread on this because some people had cautionary comments about using scolaro's plans (might even be on SOR) I talked to a couple of fabricator/welders in Vancouver about the plans. Both thought about CD$3-400 worth of labour plus metal. (Both also thought they had the metal out back somewhere cheap) Based on the CDN dollar I think you can definitely do it cheaper than Slees. However, Wulfman's comments especially about the plans not fitting exactly and having to leave the truck with the fabricator for days to get it to fit may lead to some unexpected expense and turned me off the idea. I'm saving up my empties these days for Slee.

Since I'm a little late to the game - could anybody tell me what the Scolara sliders are

Here you go. GS is a stand up bloke, but some say his slider plans are not spot on...
[ftp]http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/sliderd.html[/ftp]

Hugh, if you can find it check out my old thread on this because some people had cautionary comments about using scolaro's plans (might even be on SOR)   I talked to a couple of fabricator/welders in Vancouver about the plans.  Both thought about CD$3-400 worth of labour plus metal.  (Both also thought they had the metal out back somewhere cheap)  Based on the CDN dollar I think you can definitely do it cheaper than Slees.  However, Wulfman's comments especially about the plans not fitting exactly and having to leave the truck with the fabricator for days to get it to fit may lead to some unexpected expense and turned me off the idea.  I'm saving up my empties these days for Slee.  

Thanks guys for all the input - I'm still mulling this over. I met with a bunch of rover dudes last night and there is a local shop that is fabbing sliders for Discos, I was going to take George's plans to him for a quote.

Semlin - where is the comment from Wulf that you referenced?

Cheers, Hugh

Cool!!! - Looks like another project after the lockers go in.

Thanks for the link !

Hugh and Linus,

Another thread on SOR (Thanks Keep!)
http://www.landcruisin.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000440;p=2

George is a great guy and a real asset to the Land Cruiser community. I wish he was active on this board.

>>I suspect Slee will be cheaper than having someone do it plus the materials plus the powder coating. <<
Gumby is a wise man and he speaketh the truth. :D

Wrench also built the sliders from George's plans. The last time he checked in on this subject his opinions were the same as mine. Let me know if you have any more questions.
-B-

Last edited:
B, Semlin and others:

Thanks - I must have totally missed the earlier post - sorry.  Very valuable info - it just goes to show you how hard it is for an amateur to estimate how complex a job is.  I was sort of thinking that anyone with a spark could fab these without problems.

I'm not sure it's worth the headache to do a custom fab (same conclusion I came to on my cargo barrier).  I'm just choking on the thought of c$1600 for sliders, c$1000 for ARB and c$1500 for OME  :'(

Semlin and other Cannucks - it's too bad we don't live a bit closer we could do some group purchases.  Anyone in Ontario want to buy some stuff?

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
I really wish that I could say, "sure, go ahead and have them fabbed up... you'll save money." Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that will be the case and you'll be like me. I love the GS sliders but if I had it to do over again I would buy Hannas or Slee's. For the time, cost, and end result you will be happier.

For those with metal working skills, a welder, a plasma cutter, a tubing bender, and access to cheap powder coating, I would say go for it. For the rest of us it's time to take out the credit card.

-B-

Last edited:
I had my modified-for-water-injection blower air inlet elbow re-powder coated after it was modified. It is a steel 90 degree pipe about 3 inches in diameter and maybe 10 or so inches long. It cost 75 bucks to get it done.  :eek:

I'm not sure it's worth the headache to do a custom fab (same conclusion I came to on my cargo barrier). I'm just choking on the thought of c$1600 for sliders, c$1000 for ARB and c$1500 for OME :'(

Semlin and other Cannucks - it's too bad we don't live a bit closer we could do some group purchases. Anyone in Ontario want to buy some stuff?

Cheers, Hugh

c$1500 for OME sounds way high. Cost should be around $120 US per corner. You can install yourself in about 3 hours with minimal tools. $652 CAN at the current exchange

Jim

Either
welding2_02.gif
something up yourself ala custom, or buy Christo's. I have custom cause I wanted some heavy kickass welded on sliders but have wheeled with guys that have Christo's and they even survive my spotting. 8) :eek: :D

c$1500 for OME sounds way high. Cost should be around $120 US per corner. You can install yourself in about 3 hours with minimal tools. $652 CAN at the current exchange

Jim

Jim:

I wish I was kidding. Using Christo's number US$695 (coils, shocks, damper, etc) * 1.4 f/x = Call it $1,000 + duty (no free trade with AUS), say 10% + shipping + (hold your breath this is for free medical care) 15% tax = ~C$1,400.

A local dealer sells LR kits (no LC kits listed, but he can get them) for ~$1,300 + tax = ~C$1,500 :'(

The way I look at it, is I have to compare the price for doing the same replacement using OEM and then look at the delta based on this = much more agreeable :D

Now you see why we're worries about spending US$800 on sliders :D
Cheers, Hugh

Here you go. GS is a stand up bloke, but some say his slider plans are not spot on...
[ftp]http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/sliderd.html[/ftp]

George custom designed and fabricated sliders to fit his TLC one piece at a time. To expect that somebody else can weld up sliders from his plans, and not take the same care to custom fit each piece to your truck is expecting way too much.

I expect that an operation like Slee's does not hand cut the raw material, and no doubt he uses custom jigs he built that hold the metal in precise positon during welding.

Even if you had a perfect jig and perfectly cut parts cut from perfect plans, the welding technique itself makes a big difference. Get the metal too hot while welding by laying down too much bead in a single go can result in the metal warping when it cools down.

Just for jollies, count how many individual pieces need to be cut, how many individual cuts need to be made, how many holes need to be drilled, and how many welds need to be made. And then consider that you need to clean up the whole works and paint or powedercoat. No way is somebody doing a custom one off going to seriously undercut Slee, unless that somebody charges very little for his time.

Bottom line, don't blame George that its not as easy as folding a paper airplane ;)

Rich speaks like a man that has done this before.

If you use George's plans, you need to assemble the sliders on the truck, and even then when tacked together and welded on the table, you have a good chance they are going to warp when welded up.

All our legs, gussets and mounting platesare cut on a high definintion plasma cutter, then broke in a press to the shapes they need to be. Each leg is welded in it's own jig. The legs are then welded to the main tube in it's own jig.

The main sliders is actually back bowed about 3/4" to ensure when the outer tube and legs are attached that it comes out straight. Even with all this, there will always be some minor differences in each set.

Hugh -

You need a friend on the US side of the border....

I do it for folks from BC when asked...

Jim

Jim:

I wish I was kidding.  Using Christo's number US$695 (coils, shocks, damper, etc) * 1.4 f/x = Call it $1,000 + duty (no free trade with AUS), say 10% + shipping + (hold your breath this is for free medical care) 15% tax = ~C$1,400.

A local dealer sells LR kits (no LC kits listed, but he can get them) for ~$1,300 + tax = ~C$1,500  :'(

The way I look at it, is I have to compare the price for doing the same replacement using OEM and then look at the delta based on this = much more agreeable :D

Now you see why we're worries about spending US$800 on sliders :D
Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom