General question: Worn clutch - Replace clutch disc only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a few clutch questions:

1. How often do the "fingers" from the clutch pressure plate brake or become damaged? Is it still a common problem nowadays? How many miles can you go before broken fingers become a likely problem?

2. How many miles can a car go before the flywheel needs to be machined (refacing)? Or is machining of the flywheel not performed anymore nowadays?

3. If the clutch is slipping, is it possible to replace the clutch disc alone and not the pressure plate (I guess that the disc is worn MUCH faster than the pressure plate)? I know that most people would say: Change both bearing, disc and plate at the same time while everything is disassembled. But from a technical point of view: Will clutch engagement be bad if only the disc is replaced - will the overall performance of the car bed bad?

To conclude: How far can you go with the fewest replacement parts (not observing labor).

Lucas

Replace disc , machine the flywheel , measure the fingers make sure non are bent and do the bearing

hey,
considering how much work requires a clutch job, I wouldn't even consider changing only the clutch disk.....at the absolute minimum the pressure plate must be changed along with the clutch disk....going further, the clutch release bearing would also need to be changed. As far as the flywheel I think it can be reused (one time only...) provided that it is resurfaced; this implies that you must know for sure that the flywheel has not been resurfaced before..... if in doubt about that, changing the flywheel is almost a must....

hope that helps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom