General Purpose Jack for a lifted 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a general purpose jack for changing tires/wheels on my lifted 80.

Something with a stable base, that has enough extension that it will reach my frame. I don't want to jack from my bumpers or sliders.

Any recommendations?

I use a 12T HB bottle jack under axle. 12"x12" 2x6 for stability.
One advantage is if you're in a hurry just drive off of it, collect the bits, and move out.

Get an OEM jack from a 2006 range Tacoma. It lifts higher than the OEM LC jack. It has three stages instead of two.

Is this in the driveway, or on the go? I mean, in the driveway I always use a trolley jack. On the go, I've always found the OEM jack sufficient.

OEM jack, and jack under the diff housing is hard to beat IMO
Landcruiser Phil jack adapter for added stability. 2x6 for additional height if you need it.

Lighter and more compact than hydraulic bottle jack.
^^^ This

Never had an issue. IIRC there was OEM jack that extended a little further than the one that comes with the 80, but don't remember the model.

Stock bottle jack plus LCP jack thingymabob is all you need. Jacking from the frame is pointless, and will just result in needing to raise many times higher than you would if jacking from the axle. Never used a high-lift for anything other than pulling fence posts.

The Tacoma bottle jack is a solid choice. I'll need to snag one of those myself.

OP, you don't describe how lifted you are or what tires you're running, so I'll assume you've got some size. Even if you don't, this suggestion is nifty:

Why not use the bumper / frame? One of our guys uses an old seatbelt with two large hooks; the strap goes under the axle, the hooks go in the rectangular tooling holes on the outside of the frame fore and aft of the axle, and the strap is just the right length to install without any extra slack. The whole vehicle remains very stable while jacking and the thing only needs to go up a few cranks before the tire floats. Very nifty.

Assuming your referring to a farm jack / hi lift when saying you don't want to lift from the frame and sliders? So then I'd assume you're speaking about offroad situations in where you're not using a standard floor jack? As already stated, OEM jack with LCP axle adapter is pretty hard to beat.

Thanks for the suggestions. This thread came about because I had to change a tire recently while on the road, and my OEM jack was frozen up and not working. Had to use my Bushranger inflating jack to change the tire. Instructions on the Bushranger assured me I was going to die, but I managed to survive.

Truck isn't super lifted, but it's a few inches taller than stock. Since my OEM jack doesn't work, I never was able to test how hight it would go.

Leaning towards a small bottle jack with a large flat top pad and a cradle thingie for the axel. It isn't huge and I can use it to jack off the frame or the axel.

Lesson learned is that I really need to test out my basic repair/recovery gear before I actually need to use it. (I've tested and used the winch and the pull pall and all the the other "fun" stuff, but not the basic "change a tire" stuff.)

Assuming your referring to a farm jack / hi lift when saying you don't want to lift from the frame and sliders? So then I'd assume you're speaking about offroad situations in where you're not using a standard floor jack? As already stated, OEM jack with LCP axle adapter is pretty hard to beat.
Yes. I don't want a high-lift jack to lift from the frame and sliders. I want something to jack from below, from either the frame or axel.

The Tacoma bottle jack is a solid choice. I'll need to snag one of those myself.

OP, you don't describe how lifted you are or what tires you're running, so I'll assume you've got some size. Even if you don't, this suggestion is nifty:

Why not use the bumper / frame? One of our guys uses an old seatbelt with two large hooks; the strap goes under the axle, the hooks go in the rectangular tooling holes on the outside of the frame fore and aft of the axle, and the strap is just the right length to install without any extra slack. The whole vehicle remains very stable while jacking and the thing only needs to go up a few cranks before the tire floats. Very nifty.
Awesome idea, I assume ratchet straps would work equally well.

Get an OEM jack from a 2006 range Tacoma. It lifts higher than the OEM LC jack. It has three stages instead of two.
Do you have a part number for that? We don't have Tacomas here in Aus, but I'm interested in seeing if it was used in other vehicles here, or failing that with a part number I could order one in.

Do you have a part number for that? We don't have Tacomas here in Aus, but I'm interested in seeing if it was used in other vehicles here, or failing that with a part number I could order one in.
I don't have a part #.

I bought it from a salvage yard through eBay. Turns out it had never been used. I researched a bit after I found one to see if it looked the same and had the same tool kit.

You could find a part number or similar vehicle the same way.

Any chance you could check on the label? There should be a part number printed on it, like this:
1626524445212.png

With a part number I could easily cross-reference and be certain if I'm buying one online that it's the correct one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom