1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

general mechanical question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by swank60, Mar 25, 2004.

1. swank60

swank60

This is just a general tech question - my TR6 engine, which is really similar to the LC engine, just a whole lot smaller, has got a couple of stuck lifters due to rust/muck buildup (it's been sitting for a while) - I've soaked them in Marvel Mystery oil, kerosene, etc, but they don't seem to want to budge. (though I haven't pulled the head just yet. That's in the works)

Any ideas or experience that could help out here? I don't want to pull the engine and have them machined out - that's a little extreme. I'm looking for something a little less professional and more shade tree in nature.

2. jwest

jwest

Oh yea, 2.5 liter 104hp pushrod engine.
    I used to have 1969 MGC 3.0 six, 150hp. Big heavy cast iron block and head. Austin limousine engine. It was buried by the press but it was smooth and fast down the highway.

Well, as far as a shade tree fix... running a can of motor flush in the crankcase might help. Sounds like you already soaked it though.

3. swank60

swank60

Are you kidding? I loved the C. We had MGs and Triumphs in the family (never a C, unfortunately) - loved the MGBGT V8 too...probably the most fun of any car in history's name to say, too.

The kerosene is starting to soak through, so I've broken whatever rust seal is there, I guess I'll have to use a big dowel rod and a mallet once I get the head off of it...figure I'll clean the bore out with a brake cyl honing tool when I get them out...

4. tobydog

tobydog

Liquid Wrench in blue can works the best of anything I have used for this type of situation. Good Luck

5. REZARF

REZARF

I am assuming you have the engine out of the rig. I am not sure about how similar to the 2f Landcruiser engine your is. But removing the inspection plate and tipping the motor onto its side and bopping the block with a rubber mallet should work too. Have you tried a heavy magnet? If you have the cam removed and can tap them downward I would add a little heat and slap 'em around a little with a brass drift or something.

Sorry, I am not really familiar with your engine. This may not even be applicable.

Drew <><

6. jwest

jwest

[quote author=swank60 link=board=1;threadid=13703;start=msg127052#msg127052 date=1080252021]
    Are you kidding? I loved the C. We had MGs and Triumphs in the family (never a C, unfortunately) - loved the MGBGT V8 too...probably the most fun of any car in history's name to say, too.
    [/quote]

Aww, that's great! An MGB GT V8! Outta sight. I bet it was a blast.

The C had a Laycock automatic overdrive that you could use in 3rd and 4th gear, so 6 forward speeds. 15 inch spokes. Didn't handle too badly after I put in the Koni shocks in front. I used to love putting the top down on a cool summer night and opening it up... I'd look down at the Smith speedo, the needle bouncing around 120, the motor lazying along at 2600 rpm (or something like that). Aw, It was smoooth.

(...ok, Layc.ock was the name of the overdrive) Language filter is on...lol.

7. swank60

swank60

Actually, the engine is still in the car - and the only thing that is different from the LC engine is the inspection covers (there aren't any) - that would make my life a lot easier. However, I can apply a little heat to the block - that could help a lot. Hadn't thought of that one. I'm going to find me a stronger magnet too.

jwest - I guess I misspoke, we didn't have the MGBGT V8 - always wanted one though. In the family we had the TR6, a B, a midget, couple of Spitfires, a TR7 and for a short while, a Fiat Baritone X19 (which was TERRIBLE) - our neighbors back in VA had a TR250, a TR3 (the TR3 owner now has an FJ40 & a 60) and a chrome bumper B.

Another oddball that my uncle had a squareback VW that had a factory flat 6. It was a really rare car and was really, really fast (the flat 6 was, according to my dad, practically a Porsche engine...not unlike today's Subaru WRX) - it was totaled in an acident though...

I got the TR6 up to about 110 once...that was enough. That 2.5L wasn't heavy enough to keep the front end down at speed...it wasn't so much about top speed as it as quick acceleration. Once you hit second in a 6, you're flat out gone. With the overdrive engaged, you could hit 50-60MPH...I think mine was a laycock type a overdrive...like an idiot, when that transmission went out, I sold it and the OD...

I did get the head off last night though. I'm getting much better access to those tappets.