General leaf spring lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If a person installed an aftermarket 4" lift, and decided that it was waaaay too rough, could he NOT simply remove a leaf per pack, with no real detriment, to soften it up a bit?

HOw many miles and off road miles are on the lift?
The lifts take a while to break in. Also, what shocks are you rinning. Stiff Shocks can make for a stiff ride.
Are your shackle angles good.
Just a few thoughts.
Dave

I'm not running anything but shackle lift now, but I was saving for Alcan's, and see 4" lift kits out there, both new and used, for less than what I'd spend.

My shocks are new, and the ride is quite good with the stock springs.

So the question remains: If I opt for new or used 4" lift springs and they are TOO stiff, when broken in, is it possible to simply remove a leaf (understanding that I'd sacrifice some of that 4")?

If a person installed an aftermarket 4" lift, and decided that it was waaaay too rough, could he NOT simply remove a leaf per pack, with no real detriment, to soften it up a bit?

Sure you can remove leaves from the pack.

Remember that many times when people complain about how stiff their lift springs are, it has more to do with the shackle bolts being too tight, crushing/pinching the bushings creating a binding situation and preventing the spring and shackle to move freely, resulting in a very stiff ride.

While it is true that most of the 4" lift springs on the market are quite a bit stiffer than ours, that's not the biggest culprit. Nasty bad-ass stiff shocks are normally the problem, and especially when using a shock on the rear that is as stiff as the shock being used on the front. The front receives 9 times more forces/pounding than the rear, yet people put the same stiff poo-poo shocks on the rear as they put on the front. The trick is something like Bilstein 5100 series or Doetsch-tech MV-12's on the rear--- both very soft shocks.

Just throwing this out there but My buddy has the Downey 4' lift springs on his 71 Cruiser and after driving his off road I am getting a set for my 73 FJ-40 if the bushings ever come in LOL .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom