General Grabber AT2 vs Wrangler Silent Armor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to purchase new tires in 285/75R16. Need something good in the snow. These are the two front runners right now.

General Grabbers $166 and Wranglers $238

Any experiences.

I have the GY Duratracs and LOVE them in the snow. When you say "Wranglers", which ones are you talking about? I would have went with the Grabbers but they were not available at the time. I think they are hard to beat for the price.

I have the Duratracs as well... AWESOME ! Check em out as they have nothing but good reviews... I spend probably a good 4 days straight really comparing different tires pros and cons.

P.S. If your a Treadlightly member, you get a $100 rebate on goodyear wrangler tires FYI.

Looking to purchase new tires in 285/75R16. Need something good in the snow.

No experience with the General Grabbers, but the silent armor's run on my parents tundra were, IMO, crap. Expensive, wore very quickly, reduced gas mileage noticeably from the previous bfg's, and had two flats on separate occasions. Add that to some bad experiences with their car tires and I won't run a Goodyear tire. My 2 cents. The only redeeming quality the silent armor's had were the really low road noise.

What other use besides snow will these tires see? If mainly road use, the Michelin LTX M/S 2 may be a good option.

The General Grabbers do look like they are pretty good bang for the buck. How loud are they?

Mostly on road with light off road, however the Michelin LTX's are not aggressive enough for what I want.

Given the distances we will be covering on road - the Duratracs may be overly aggressive for what I need.

BFG's are also an option - but still pricey.

I miss the days when I bought 8 Toyo Open Country A/T's for less than grand!

I had a set of the Silent Armors on an XJ when I lived in CO. I loved them, they got great traction (for an AT), handled well, did well in snow, lasted well. I think they are a great tire, at least as good as the BFG AT traction wise off road, just not as cool looking, I think they are quiter on the road and do better in the winter.

After 40k, they were not so good on ice though. :bang:

Granted, my XJ weighed about half of what my FZJ80 weighs. I would have bought a set if for my TLC if they sold them in 315s.

I have BFG ATs on my Dodge PW, I still think the Silent Armors are better tire for all weather daily drivers. I am hoping to put the Duratracs on my FZJ80 this summer.

But I would probably go for the Grabbers if they are $70 cheaper per tire.

no experience with Grabbers...there are some folks who swear by them, and having seen them in person many times, I have to say the Grabbers look they would add up.

However, I drove through 2 sets of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors when my job was driving a ski industry van around the Western US (the whole West, for race service, not just Colorado). The tires never let me down and had awesome traction.

So, when it's time to replace the BFG ATs that came on my current 80, it will be either Silent Armors or Duratracs. I'm really not considering any other tires for the 80 until it becomes my secondary vehicle (in like 4 years). More than likely the Dura Tracs will end up on the 80.

I agree with Jule that the Silent Armors are far superior every day driving tire to the BFG ATs. And the stock Michelin LTX M/S tires are downright dangerous in slush as they like to ride on top of the surface instead of in it ie planeing. Great in frozen snow or rain (as long as the snow or rain is not too deep).

Beware of which Wrangler tire you are considering. The Silent Armor, MTR and Duratrac are by far the superior variations.

there is a thread on here -cant find it- but a guy did a write up on his generals he liked them.

My girlfriend runs them on her truck, we both like them. for an AT they seem to do real well. I'll probably be putting a set of general 315s on when my 285s BFG ats run down, unless tire rack does another $185 sale of the KM2s.

EDIT: this is the link i remembered reading. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/291656-general-grabber-at2-315s-1997-fzj80.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that thread link. The Generals look like a pretty solid bet for the price.

Right now I'm leaning towards them, but I've got time to waffle!

...sounds like you are set. tires are such an odd thing. I think all of us are overly picky with our tire selection, but that overly picky decision process brings sense of security in the vehicle's connection with the driving surface, and that is what matters the most.

I'm already far enough down another tire road story that I won't be purchasing Grabbers. You have identified them as a great option, you seem comfortable with them, and it's hard to argue with the price!

Grabber AT2 -

I replaced my worn Goodyear MTRs with a set of Grabber AT2s about 15k ago, I've got absolutely no complaints. I was tired of the noise of running the MT on my DD, so my choice was between these and the BFG ATs. Both of these are more aggressive than the Revo's and Silent Armor, I went with the General because I've owned 5-6 sets of BFG ATs and thought these were worth a shot for the price delta. They are super quiet on the highway and have done fine for hunting and camping duty around here, they also have a stud provision for winter. One trip on the rocks and they worked just fine ;)

Tucker

BTW: Lifted/Locked/Armored/Loaded 80 -

I have grabber AT2's on my 97 and they have been good in snow quiet on the highway and are wearing well. For the price they are hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom