General FSM dumb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Getting ready to replace water pump, hoses, belt, etc. as I go through my 150K re-baseline maintenance project. I was thinking about replacing the alternator as I'll have everything in the front opened up. Just looking at its location, it sure looks like a PITA to pull out and replace. I looked at the removal procedure in the FSM to see how hard it would be. 13 steps, maybe not super terrible. Doesn't appear you need to take the radiator out which it what I was thinking.

1607796269260.png

My dumb question is about the blue "info" hyper links. When you click on say #3 Remove V-bank cover sub assembly, it takes you to #23 of the full engine removal procedure. #23 is just for removing the the engine cover assembly. The intent is that you only need to do the specific item the hyper link takes you to and not the rest of the procedure the link has sent you to. right? Seems obvious now that I have typed the question... pretty sure I can get the alternator out without full removal of the engine. :wrench:

Can it be done with the radiator still in the vehicle ? Absolutely. However, if you're doing a comprehensive replacement of all those parts you listed, it will make it so much roomier if you take the radiator out.. Plus it would be a good time for a deep clean on the front end whilst it's out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom