General advice and ideas please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday everyone.

I purchased my 80 a few months ago and the plan is for me and the kids to learn as we go. I know very little and really rely on these forums and YouTube to get guidance.

So my question;

I have noticed a leak and I have worked out that this is allowing water into the rear quarter via the Vent Louver, while looking for this leak I noticed that there is a patch of rust under the passenger side window's weather strip.

I obviously plan to fix this leak and the rust, but I have decided to take this time to pull out everything in rear compartment and check for additional rust and seal any holes etc.

Is there anything else you would recommend I do while I have the back stripped? Any mods or preventative measures? I would prefer to get everything done now, so I don't have to pull everything out for a while. I have a dual battery and will be taking this time to lay it out a little better too.

Thanks

Mick

IMG_2717.jpg

Leaking Vent Louvers is not a common problem but the molding trim pieces have seals around the clips that fail which is most likely your issue. As they age they harden and deteriorate allowing the water to ingress. I would remove both rear sliding windows and check for rust issues.

Leaking Vent Louvers is not a common problem but the molding trim pieces have seals around the clips that fail which is most likely your issue. As they age they harden and deteriorate allowing the water to ingress. I would remove both rear sliding windows and check for rust issues.
Thanks Phil. I will have a look at those seals tomorrow. I figured removing the windows would be a good idea, but I am not looking forward to it. It looks like it would be a nightmare. I have found a video of someone removing the window, but I am more concerned about getting it back in :) I will have a better look for instructions.

Removal and re-installation of windows is not all that difficult just need to take your time with some good pry tools. If the louvers need replacement you need to partially remove the windows anyway. It allows you to clean up the window openings and get rid of all the accumulated dirt and debris.

While you have the carpet out some sound deadener would be good to pu in

Also, have you seen this vid?

x2 those vent louver pieces have a built on gasket and my 94's were completely rotted. If don't want splurge for new louvers silicone rtv would work too. The clips that hold them on will likely break upon removal but the clips are available and slide onto the louver piece.

Maybe fuel pump replace while the carpet is out of the way? I can see that subwoofer/speaker is shot. Otherwise clean and looks solid.

Last edited:
While you have the carpet out some sound deadener would be good to pu in

Also, have you seen this vid?

Thanks. I will have a look at that sound deadener. She sounds great but on long trips it goes right through you 😂.

I did see that video and I tried that first hoping it would solve the issue, but I didn’t unfortunately.

x2 those vent louver pieces have a built on gasket and my 94's were completely rotted. If don't want splurge for new louvers silicone rtv would work too. The clips that hold them on will likely break upon removal but the clips are available and slide onto the louver piece.

Maybe fuel pump replace while the carpet is out of the way? I can see that subwoofer/speaker is shot. Otherwise clean and looks solid.
Thanks. I did wonder about that speaker 😂

I am assuming the dual pump is under the centre inspection hatch. I did have a look and clean it off but will price a replacement.

4D0BA9CC-903E-43B0-8A85-1A6B10A767DB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom