General 200 series question 😬 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love the steelies look, I have been tempted to do it myself as an interim step between moving to 34/35's and aftermarket wheels,

, planning on getting the chrome removed
Honestly just plasti-dipped it in my garage in a few hours, holding up fine through car washes and such. Did side chrome on door, side windows, and rear Land Cruiser line on tailgate and under lights.

Then I said let's go all in and dipped the wheels a black base + Hyperdip Brass Monkey. It's growing on me.

Also, regarding Slee sliders...not sure what you mean about a gap but if you mean between body and slider, then yes, the body mounts can flex and you want a little gap. Also, hit my slider hard enough to take a chunk out of it on Yankee Boy Basin in the rain, and I can attest, they are on there. Saved me a bunch of $$ on a passenger door that would have been remodeled. A little spray paint later...and good as new.
lc01.jpg
IMG_4822.jpg
lc02.jpg
IMG_4826.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly just plasti-dipped it in my garage in a few hours, holding up fine through car washes and such. Did side chrome on door, side windows, and rear Land Cruiser line on tailgate and under lights.

Then I said let's go all in and dipped the wheels a black base + Hyperdip Brass Monkey. It's growing on me.

Also, regarding Slee sliders...not sure what you mean about a gap but if you mean between body and slider, then yes, the body mounts can flex and you want a little gap. Also, hit my slider hard enough to take a chunk out of it on Yankee Boy Basin in the rain, and I can attest, they are on there. Saved me a bunch of $$ on a passenger door that would have been remodeled. A little spray paint later...and good as new.
View attachment 3132338View attachment 3132342View attachment 3132337View attachment 3132341
Trucks looks great and loving the black, as for the slee sides and th gap that is what I was looking for, will plan to get it anyways. A must have for trails

I dig the Tundra steelies, especially if done in black. Different strokes.......

I dig the Tundra steelies, especially if done in black. Different strokes.......
Well black would look a lot better for sure and blend into the tire instead of showcasing it in silver. :cool:

For me, those steelies look good! BUT if they weigh more than my factory alloys, then i see no point.

I've been told that a benefit of the steelies is that they bend rather than break, so can be pounded straight-ish if necessary.

I've been told that a benefit of the steelies is that they bend rather than break, so can be pounded straight-ish if necessary.
Yeah, but that would require some major force on the tire/wheel? I drive pretty slow off-road….

Yeah, but that would require some major force on the tire/wheel? I drive pretty slow off-road….
Agree. I've seen some pretty extreme jumps, hits, stupid moves. Will the alloy wheels crack? Yep, seen one crack and leak air. We have spare tires.

As far as the logic of a heavier steel wheel that will bend and not break, and you can beat back into shape with a sledge....I'd imagine that's limited to super out there Safari kinda travel...and in that case, can you make it round enough to hold air again? I guess....

King of the Hammers? Alloy wheels.

However, looks wise, I like em.

There's a member here that used to run the steelies but he kept bending them off-road due to the weight of his build. I love the look and if you keep the build simple and the weight down then they shouldn't be an issue but I can't see a steelie being lighter than the standard alloys.

Agree. I've seen some pretty extreme jumps, hits, stupid moves. Will the alloy wheels crack? Yep, seen one crack and leak air. We have spare tires.

As far as the logic of a heavier steel wheel that will bend and not break, and you can beat back into shape with a sledge....I'd imagine that's limited to super out there Safari kinda travel...and in that case, can you make it round enough to hold air again? I guess....

King of the Hammers? Alloy wheels.

However, looks wise, I like em.
I was on a trip this summer in Canada 270 miles from the nearest gas, no cell coverage for miles and miles - I guess that's kilometers and kilometers :) I had a single spare and never needed it, but if I had lost two rims, I'd have had to make a long trip to someplace and back. I can see the logic if having a more field repairable part. But, I run alloys. So it's all theory and armchair quarterbacking from me. lol Just kind if pointing out that you don't need to be on a remote safari to end up stuck with two bent or cracked rims and no good way to get a spare.

Last edited:
But, I run alloys. So it's all theory and armchair quarterbacking from me. lol Just kind if pointing out that you don't need to be on a remote safari to end up stuck with two bent or cracked rims and no good way to get a spare.
I get you. The furthest "out" I have been has been Big Bend. Typically with friends, so their spares work too.

Not saying you, but many people pick a reason and convince themselves that's the right thing to do based on a scenario they are super unlikely to experience. I try to build my truck to the practical 99% not the odd 1%. For some reason, people use these reasons to justify their expenses, but it's their truck and money. Spend it how you like.

I'd like to hear from someone who bend a steel rim, beat it back into shape, and wheeled it out of a harry situation. I'm willing to pet there's less then 5 on this entire forum, and other offroading forms.

(this post seems to come in hot --- not my intent --- I just like challenging the logic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom