General 200 series question šŸ˜¬ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My ā€˜17 has the recessed Allen screws. Maybe late in the model year there was a change? Iā€™m sure no one changed them out unless there was crash damage needing replacement of the entire valve/system. It not easy!
It's a whole lot of work, as Sandroad said. Most likely just came from the smaller of the two factories or while they were phasing in the change.
I do know this truck was sold late in 2017, so it's possible it was a late build 2017. And just to make sure I'm not taking crazy pills I checked the VIN and it's 100% 2017. Carfax has no crash reports (bought 6 months ago with 39k miles on it - 3rd owner) - and other things confirm it's not 2018 such as manual hatch, resistive screen, and VIN reading 2017.

Thanks for info, I know a lot about 4Runners but still learning about Land Cruisers. You guys are a wealth of knowledge!

I do know this truck was sold late in 2017, so it's possible it was a late build 2017. And just to make sure I'm not taking crazy pills I checked the VIN and it's 100% 2017. Carfax has no crash reports (bought 6 months ago with 39k miles on it - 3rd owner) - and other things confirm it's not 2018 such as manual hatch, resistive screen, and VIN reading 2017.

Thanks for info, I know a lot about 4Runners but still learning about Land Cruisers. You guys are a wealth of knowledge!
Be sure to read the thread link posted after your op if you havenā€™t already.

Thanks everyone for their input and articles for us to reference, we ended up getting a 2016 with 69k miles in blue onyx with the brown interior. Donā€™t ask me how but the Toyota dealership certified the truck and gave us an extended warranty with a additional 60k miles or 60 month which ever comes first. And the dealership confirmed it starts from the time we acquired the vehicle. I donā€™t know think we will need it but still good to have.

CAB53E78-A409-4559-826A-A8C8DE25E1E5.jpeg

Thanks everyone for their input and articles for us to reference, we ended up getting a 2016 with 69k miles in blue onyx with the brown interior. Donā€™t ask me how but the Toyota dealership certified the truck and gave us an extended warranty with a additional 60k miles or 60 month which ever comes first. And the dealership confirmed it starts from the time we acquired the vehicle. I donā€™t know think we will need it but still good to have.

View attachment 3130268
THE BEST color combo!

Do you feel comfortable sharing how much you paid? You got a killer color combo for sure. Congrats!
Not at all, the truck was for 69k, we paid asking price and had the dealer certify it via Toyota certification program for 12 months/12k miles, then bought an additional warranty also though Toyota certification for 60 months/60k miles. The extra warranty cost us 3k. All in 71k without tax as it will be registered in California.

We were really interested in another gray truck (link to listing below) with lesser miles but the dealership wanted me to purchase some dealer specific accessories for $2500. When we stated that is something we do not want they said we have to buy the truck with it or they wonā€™t sell me the truck. Sorry but that really piss me off so we passed. The gray truck was listed for 70k and the dealer still have it now for 67k. (Seems like they still have the dealer specific item to purchase with the truck šŸ˜–)

784B276A-E797-4081-ABB2-DEE8729609E8.jpeg

I
Not at all, the truck was for 69k, we paid asking price and had the dealer certify it via Toyota certification program for 12 months/12k miles, then bought an additional warranty also though Toyota certification for 60 months/60k miles. The extra warranty cost us 3k. All in 71k without tax as it will be registered in California.

We were really interested in another gray truck (link to listing below) with lesser miles but the dealership wanted me to purchase some dealer specific accessories for $2500. When we stated that is something we do not want they said we have to buy the truck with it or they wonā€™t sell me the truck. Sorry but that really piss me off so we passed. The gray truck was listed for 70k and the dealer still have it now for 67k. (Seems like they still have the dealer specific item to purchase with the truck šŸ˜–)

View attachment 3131701
Iā€™ve seen this type of add-on before when I looked at a used BMW. It has a huge MARKUP and I was able to get it down to $700 from $2500. I ended up passing on the Suv as I just hate being forced to buy some crappy add-on. Also, it effected me from trying to get a deal on the suv since the whole negotiation was around the add-on. Total dealer scam.

@Rove Analog Good for you - paint protection is largely a rip off because they will fight you about ever detail if you put in a claim. It's just a non-aggressive way to put a pointless markup on the vehicle. In many cases, it's just a wax with a warranty that you can't use. Tire warranties are similar in many cases....as the deductible and arguing the replacements are about as expensive as just buying the items if you value your time as much as the products.

And after having bought my 200 with 39k miles, and my friend owning his 570 with 90k miles, I was surprised to notice how good his rode and felt at 90k, it was just as good as my 40k....and pretty close to some of the new ones I looked at before buying used. That 70k on your 2016 and the price you paid is pretty dang good, as I paid $77k for my 2017 with 39k miles back in March, and felt for the miles it was a good price, but knowing what I know not, more miles wouldn't have scared me at all, and I could have saved even more money like you did.

I

Iā€™ve seen this type of add-on before when I looked at a used BMW. It has a huge MARKUP and I was able to get it down to $700 from $2500. I ended up passing on the Suv as I just hate being forced to buy some crappy add-on. Also, it effected me from trying to get a deal on the suv since the whole negotiation was around the add-on. Total dealer scam.
I agree, while looking for the 200 series we were also considering the new defender. Let me rephrase that wife was into the defender but I was voting for the 200. The markups on those were 15k to 20k from MSRP plus 5k dealer accessories. After she test drive both you can clearly see who won, plus she also hated these crazy markups

@Rove Analog Good for you - paint protection is largely a rip off because they will fight you about ever detail if you put in a claim. It's just a non-aggressive way to put a pointless markup on the vehicle. In many cases, it's just a wax with a warranty that you can't use. Tire warranties are similar in many cases....as the deductible and arguing the replacements are about as expensive as just buying the items if you value your time as much as the products.

And after having bought my 200 with 39k miles, and my friend owning his 570 with 90k miles, I was surprised to notice how good his rode and felt at 90k, it was just as good as my 40k....and pretty close to some of the new ones I looked at before buying used. That 70k on your 2016 and the price you paid is pretty dang good, as I paid $77k for my 2017 with 39k miles back in March, and felt for the miles it was a good price, but knowing what I know not, more miles wouldn't have scared me at all, and I could have saved even more money like you did.
Thank and yeah we also think overall it was a fair deal for the truck. Well pretty excited

Nice to see you bought a 2016 LC200 and Blue Mica is a great color.

Going back to the original question, some thoughts/considerations for what they are worth;

LED Headlights - Understand from 2016 the Land Cruiser got LED headlights. Certainly my 2021 manufactured Oct 2020 has those. Really like the brightness and clear view on the road at night. Also (I believe...) I do not have to worry about them turning on and off more often when driving into and out of the a parking or home garage compared to HID, which on some cars like my 2014 BMW 535d F10 LCI model are a concern and more so a PITA to replace (the mid life upgrade LCI version requires bumper removal, nice...). Or so I technically believe at this point between HID and LED, happy to stand corrected by a MUD'er who knows.

Looks this answers my question, except for number of on and offs:

Value for money - All in all the LC200 has not dramatically changed from 2008 to 2021 and is in concept the same vehicle with all its goodness, tank like feeling and resulting awesome... fuel consumption. When I looked at buying one I decided for new because a) I am a fool and have enough money to buy outright and I like cars (right...) and b) I noticed depreciation is much more linear then most if not all vehicles on the market (a simple calculation of expected remaining miles to 300k / price ended up at a similar number). Obviously this ignores the value of money and what you can do no doubt better with it, however drove me to buy new so I know what happened to the vehicle, combined with the intent to keep his vehicle for 20 years +. Having explained my perhaps shaky logic, the one downside of buying newer/more expensive is the intended use.

Intended Use - When offroading and overlanding is your immediate objective an older LC200 which already has some wear and scratches on it makes sense, then perform the mods etc. This could be a reason to buy and 2017 or 2016 or say a 2014. In my case the intended use is city, highway, travel trailer towing and the odd trails on vacation in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado or Utah. Already know I need to lift and put slightly bigger tires and skids on mine to do some of the awesome Colorado trails. One day, not yet though...

This link also seems a good summary of the 2016+ improvements, although as mentioned there were more changes/improvements from '16 to '20/'21.

Last edited:
Nice to see you bought a 2016 LC200 and Blue Mica is a great color.

Going back to the original question, some thoughts/considerations for what they are worth;

LED Headlights - Understand from 2016 the Land Cruiser got LED headlights. Certainly my 2021 manufactured Oct 2020 has those. Really like the brightness and clear view on the road at night. Also (I believe...) I do not have to worry about them turning on and off more often when driving into and out of the a parking or home garage compared to HID, which on some cars like my 2014 BMW 535d F10 LCI model are a concern and more so a PITA to replace (the mid life upgrade LCI version requires bumper removal, nice...). Or so I technically believe at this point between HID and LED, happy to stand corrected by a MUD'er who knows.

Looks this answers my question, except for number of on and offs:

Value for money - All in all the LC200 has not dramatically changed from 2008 to 2021 and is in concept the same vehicle with all its goodness, tank like feeling and resulting awesome... fuel consumption. When I looked at buying one I decided for new because a) I am a fool and have enough money to buy outright and I like cars (right...) and b) I noticed depreciation is much more linear then most if not all vehicles on the market (a simple calculation of expected remaining miles to 300k / price ended up at a similar number). Obviously this ignores the value of money and what you can do no doubt better with it, however drove me to buy new so I know what happened to the vehicle, combined with the intent to keep his vehicle for 20 years +. Having explained my perhaps shaky logic, the one downside of buying newer/more expensive is the intended use.

Intended Use - When offroading and overlanding is your immediate objective an older LC200 which already has some wear and scratches on it makes sense, then perform the mods etc. This could be a reason to buy and 2017 or 2016 or say a 2014. In my case the intended use is city, highway, travel trailer towing and the odd trails on vacation in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado or Utah. Already know I need to lift and put slightly bigger tires and skids on mine to do some of the awesome Colorado trails. One day, not yet though...

This link also seems a good summary of the 2016+ improvements, although as mentioned there were more changes/improvements from '16 to '20/'21.
Thanks for sharing all the info and details, I personally wanted to get an 08 to 11 200 series but due to tech and some other items we went the 2016 model year. We do plan to use it for camping but more trail driving Iā€™m planning on doing the whole ALU CAB conversion on my FJ75 Troopy.

F7DA5149-4186-4310-AE72-2029D035410C.jpeg

100% why I bought a used 2017. Pre loved with some scratched, what looks like a shopping cart ding, and a rear bumper ding.

For that, I'm grateful, the "OMG it's new" was never there from the day I took it home. I cleaned it up really good, paid a guy $50 to buff a good bit of scratches, then started modding.

Just got back from Colorado, did some Ouray and Denver area trails. Don't need a lot of mods to dominate there, especially if you're familiar with wheeling.

Slee Sliders (glad I had them, one sketchy hit)
Westcott 2" front / 1" rear lift on OEM shocks (keeping OEM ride) - factory UCA
33" BFG KO2

Stock skids
No Lockers

Did freaking awesome with this configuration. I'd take it on Imogene, and less without any hesitation.

View attachment 3130268
Congrats! Happy wife is a good thing! Beautiful color!

I agree, while looking for the 200 series we were also considering the new defender. Let me rephrase that wife was into the defender but I was voting for the 200. The markups on those were 15k to 20k from MSRP plus 5k dealer accessories. After she test drive both you can clearly see who won, plus she also hated these crazy markups
Thatā€™s pretty funny actually as my wife also liked the new Defender when we were car shopping. Our local BMW had a slightly used V8 all decked out in Dark grey with 34ā€ tires on it. I wonā€™t lie, it was very tempting but I know better when it comes to reliability.

100% why I bought a used 2017. Pre loved with some scratched, what looks like a shopping cart ding, and a rear bumper ding.

For that, I'm grateful, the "OMG it's new" was never there from the day I took it home. I cleaned it up really good, paid a guy $50 to buff a good bit of scratches, then started modding.

Just got back from Colorado, did some Ouray and Denver area trails. Don't need a lot of mods to dominate there, especially if you're familiar with wheeling.

Slee Sliders (glad I had them, one sketchy hit)
Westcott 2" front / 1" rear lift on OEM shocks (keeping OEM ride) - factory UCA
33" BFG KO2

Stock skids
No Lockers

Did freaking awesome with this configuration. I'd take it on Imogene, and less without any hesitation.
Thanks I totally agree, we also did look at some heritage editions but the wifey really needed a 3rd row and wasā€™t willing to spend an extra 30k. We are also considering some slee slider but I did hear they leave a gap.

Thatā€™s pretty funny actually as my wife also liked the new Defender when we were car shopping. Our local BMW had a slightly used V8 all decked out in Dark grey with 34ā€ tires on it. I wonā€™t lie, it was very tempting but I know better when it comes to reliability.
Yes we test drove both land cruiser at the local Carmax. They had some new defenders with less than 5k miles as trade in, one didnā€™t even start so they were a red flag from the beginning. As a owner of the original defender sorry to say not the best looking truck. I rather wait for the ineos granedier. My 110s

934C4351-55FA-4307-89BD-EE464D49E228.jpeg

Congrats on your purchase, the blue is one of my favorites and I am still kicking myself for passing on one back in 2018 over $880 lol. It was the principle of the matter and the dealer came back a week later willing to do the deal but we had already moved on with a TRD Pro 4Runner. Sadly they haven't offered that color in a few years now.

Those added markups are quite common here in Texas as well, it's usually $400-600 in actual product that they use as a topper to build profits. Some dealers won't budge on it while others will discount them or take it off completely in order to get the deal done. I refuse to play that game and would have moved on like yourself, let some other fool pay it.

Our dealer bumped our drivetrain to 120K miles but supposedly it's only good through their dealership or one of their other sister Toyota stores. It's crazy how much the values have gone up since they stopped making them and with the 300 not coming to our shores. I won't rub it in by divulging the price but we only paid a few thousand more for ours new two years ago. I already have in excess of 45K miles on it as we drive it out of town nearly every weekend, I hope to curb that some by retiring it as a daily by the time it reaches 80K miles.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours, I hope to see it built up as there aren't many built ones out there in the blue.

Congrats on your purchase, the blue is one of my favorites and I am still kicking myself for passing on one back in 2018 over $880 lol. It was the principle of the matter and the dealer came back a week later willing to do the deal but we had already moved on with a TRD Pro 4Runner. Sadly they haven't offered that color in a few years now.

Those added markups are quite common here in Texas as well, it's usually $400-600 in actual product that they use as a topper to build profits. Some dealers won't budge on it while others will discount them or take it off completely in order to get the deal done. I refuse to play that game and would have moved on like yourself, let some other fool pay it.

Our dealer bumped our drivetrain to 120K miles but supposedly it's only good through their dealership or one of their other sister Toyota stores. It's crazy how much the values have gone up since they stopped making them and with the 300 not coming to our shores. I won't rub it in by divulging the price but we only paid a few thousand more for ours new two years ago. I already have in excess of 45K miles on it as we drive it out of town nearly every weekend, I hope to curb that some by retiring it as a daily by the time it reaches 80K miles.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours, I hope to see it built up as there aren't many built ones out there in the blue.
Thanks for sharing and yes I donā€™t know if covid related but yes these mark ups are getting too wild, as for the upgrades I do have a list of items but overall plans are to keep it stock. Looks wise this is what Iā€™m planning on doing to the truck, just in blue. Hopefully this person is a member here

CF063AAC-E74C-45C4-AC01-22B1268EC53E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom