Gen 4 Nav System in my 2002 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a 2002 LC with factory navigation. I just assumed the system was Gen 2/3 with the original data DVD so I picked up a Ver 05.1 data disc (U30) on Ebay, which I verified from several sources is compatible with Gen 2/3 systems.

When I went to make the swap, I discovered the "old" disc in the system is actually a Ver 04.2 (W41) from a Gen 4 system! This is perhaps verified since the Gen 2/3 5.1 disc doesn't work. I then searched and came across an old thread where a member posted that he was able to retrofit a Gen 4 nav system into a 100 originally built with a Gen 2/3. I can't really explain why the previous owner would have done this, but it looks like I'm the beneficiary of his work.

With all that said, I'm now going to look for the most recent update DVD for my Gen 4 unit. Can anyone tell me what it is before I start my online search?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but does anybody know what thread was referenced to where someone had changed their Gen 2/3 to a Gen 4 system? Searched but couldn't find. I'm curious as to what the advantages are for doing this upgrade?

i'm curious to know how/why they did that too. perhaps something happened to the old unit (like the screen went out or something) and it was cheaper to get a used gen4 NAV unit? good to know that its even possible as an alternative to a pricey new replacement.

i gotta get me one of those updated discs for mine though, sucks when you need to find some place with roads less than 8yrs old.

Does the Gen 4 system allow you to navigate to coordinates? This is one feature I wish my '02 had. Dropping bread crumbs would be #2. Both are in the new Lexus ES-350 my wife just purchased, but I don't see the use of it compared to the LC. ES will never see dirt.

Has anyone else converted the under seat nav drive from gen 2 to gen 4? The plugs are the same (except the gen 4 added a port to support Bluetooth). The mount appears the same. Several clublexus members have made the upgrade on their vehicles as well as some Prius owners. My gen 2 is in need of repair and I can purchase a gen 4 for a few hundred more than the repair cost.

did anyone ever get an answer to this question? I was thinking of getting an up to date nav dvd off ebay for my 2002 and was wondering if it would work

Has anyone else converted the under seat nav drive from gen 2 to gen 4? The plugs are the same (except the gen 4 added a port to support Bluetooth). The mount appears the same. Several clublexus members have made the upgrade on their vehicles as well as some Prius owners. My gen 2 is in need of repair and I can purchase a gen 4 for a few hundred more than the repair cost.

I installed the gen 4 DVD drive/ecu (under seat unit) in place of my gen 2. It's plug and play. The gen 4 which was used in 2004-07 LC's is much faster. Probably not justifiable if your gen 2 is working but if it breaks I can't see any reason not to replace it with the newer unit.

Gen 2 part # 86841-47020 replaced with Gen 4 # 86841-50090

I installed the gen 4 DVD drive/ecu (under seat unit) in place of my gen 2. It's plug and play. The gen 4 which was used in 2004-07 LC's is much faster. Probably not justifiable if your gen 2 is working but if it breaks I can't see any reason not to replace it with the newer unit.

Gen 2 part # 86841-47020 replaced with Gen 4 # 86841-50090

Will the Bluetooth carry forward?

Wondering what's the cost of a gen 4?

2004 is a gen 4

Wondering what's the cost of a gen 4?

Well I did list the part numbers to make it easy but....$375. Find a "make offer" on eBay. Interestingly the gen 2 units sell for the same. Search ebay for the part numbers.

The gen 2 fails due to a small DC motor. I have not been able to source a replacement. It's a shame because it's otherwise fairly simple to replace.

Motor part # Panasonic PPN13KA12C motor If anyone locates a source please do us a favor and post.

Yes, but not without adding all of the additional associated wiring and hardware.

You mean swap in dash unit and under seat unit with associated wiring? If so I may be willing to swap up and sell my current 03 gen 2 unit to gain Bluetooth and reverse camera.

You mean swap in dash unit and under seat unit with associated wiring? If so I may be willing to swap up and sell my current 03 gen 2 unit to gain Bluetooth and reverse camera.

Same here. Also by updating to gen 3 you can use viastech attachment to add in line video and usb capabilities.

Do you mean that if you add vaistech equipment to a generation 4 nav unit I would be able to stream music and or video from a hard drive to the indash screen? Has anybody up graded the in dash screen to one with higher resolution?

Not sure you can do that since the MFD is linked to the A/C Heat controls :(. But check the prius forums they had the same MFD (matched with year) as the LC. Many had the same issues with their MFD.

Well I did list the part numbers to make it easy but....$375. Find a "make offer" on eBay. Interestingly the gen 2 units sell for the same. Search ebay for the part numbers.

The gen 2 fails due to a small DC motor. I have not been able to source a replacement. It's a shame because it's otherwise fairly simple to replace.

Motor part # Panasonic PPN13KA12C motor If anyone locates a source please do us a favor and post.

If anyone has found a source for the motor, please post as my Gen2 just decided to quit on me. (It displays the "No Disk Detected") It seems this could be the culprit.

Installed a Gen 4 player in my 02 (normally Gen 2-3) and popped in a Gen 4 disc 11.1. Works like a charm, except that I cannot get to the sub menu as Toyota in their infinite wisdom decided to delete this feature in versions 7.1 or 8.1 onwards for Gen 4. So I'm getting updated maps but I have to stop the car every time we need to change destinations.
The colors of the menu's are a little more vivid in Gen 4, but I am not sure it would be worth changing the player if it isn't broken. I will post any major differences in this thread if I find anything new while using it.

I have posted up for sale my Nav Map discs in the classifieds for the Gen 2 and 3 versions. One is a newer 11.1 West and the other is a 7.1.

My 2002 LX470 had a "No Disc Inserted" error and got a $2150 quote for replacement at the dealer. After reading this thread and a few more on this forum. I decided to try to install a "used" one.

I picked up a GEN 4 DVD drive, part#: ( 86841-50090 ) and a used 12.1 /U27 (2013) NAV DVD on ebay. It took about 45 min to figure out replacing it. It did not require removing the passenger seat; just pushing it all the way up and forward; then a few bolts and modular plugs.

It is working great! It turned out to be a nice upgrade and was not too hard. As a bonus, the GEN4 drives were going for less $$$ than the GEN2/3 drives. IMHO this is a great option for anyone that has a bad NAV drive.

Thanks to OP for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom