1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen 1 Slee Arms + 6" springs...

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by DanKunz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the adjustable slee arms on my truck and 6" springs...I was wondering if I couldn't simply unscrew them a bit to get better angles in the front and what lift they were made for initially for correction..it seems as though I am out of spec up there, but I haven't gotten measurements taken as I plan on adjusting everything (panhards, etc) first...and I am doing that after I get the new tires this week.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Skim

Skim

I have the same arms on my 80.
    I contacted Slee with a similar question.
    He said the original arms were built to meet the original purchasers specs. (lift, etc.)
    You should contact Slee and ask him.

3. Nay

Nay

What spec is not aligned? Any front arm adjustment should be done for pinion angle (lest ye have vibes on a full time front end), which is the primary adjustment and caster follows. Assuming a DC front shaft, do you have something other than a zero degree axle end u-joint operating angle?

What is the adjustment you can make on these arms that would affect pinion angle and therefore caster?

4. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Skim. Every time I do that I end up buying new stuff :)

I guess I could sell these arms for $ and go with the new hotness of those 6" arms. Sweeeeeet lookin too!

5. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

but dan, the arms you have are "supposed" to work for you lift. Maybe add some CC bushings if you are short on caster.

I am assuming you were wanting to "un-screw" them to add some length?

6. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

The arms are not adjustable for length. The threaded piece relieves some of the twisting forces on the arms when articulating. You can unscrew a little to gain length but not more than 1 revolution from fully closed.

As for correct for the lift. Those arms were custom made for specific lifts. If your truck went up with the 6" springs, then you are probably a little out of caster spec.

7. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I suspect I am out of spec. Will know later in the week, getting everything measured. Worst case I can just get some of those new fancy arms and sell mine for someone who wants Js and spacers :)