Gears (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
So reading through various threads on gearing, what are people running for gears vs tire size??

Credited question to Murf: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/280793-3-mpg-better.html#post4375779; On the question asked.

What are the stock gears? When should you look at changing them.

Maybe a simple thread of post your Gear, Tire Size & Application.

You can flame me off for such a question, just asking, and thought combined simple thread could sum up what peeps are running and what they use there vehicle for.......

Stock gears are 4.11

I run 4.88 with my 35s, and they are a good match for me between wheeling and highway driving. If you plan on upgraded to 37s, maybe you should think about 5.27s

The 4.11 number applies to all gears? So swapping to 4.88 is going to involve the whole gearbox or whatever...?

Yes, 4.11 is the ratio of the axle differential gears. In order to change gear ratios, you must change both the front & rear axle gear sets at the same time.

sounds like pulling teeth. Is it very difficult/expensive?

I cannot speak for the cost (I am relatively new to the Toyota arena), but a ring & pinion installation can be quite difficult the first time you do one. The task does require some specialized tools, but it is possible to do yourself; the cost of the tools can easily reach the same cost as just having a shop install the gears.

I have done several ring & pinion installs in Dana axles now, and they can be done in about 2 or 3 hours per differential.

Looks like shop may be the best option. I'm new to this too, but I don know that I want to do everything I can to save gas mileage. Yikes.

sounds like pulling teeth. Is it very difficult/expensive?

FZJ80s (US Spec) came stock with 4.10 gears. A gear change is a relatively complicated project on the 80-series. I would say 4 bananas. You have to pull the front axles which means you have to pull the birfs which means you'll probably want to do a front axle service. The 3rds are heavy; easily 50# on the front and closer to 90# on the rear e-locked diff. Pulling the rears is easier than the front but you'll want to do a rear axle service which is mainly just repacking the wheel bearings. Many will do brakes at the same time because you are there.

I regeared about 14 months ago and sent the 3rds out for the R&P set up. Total cost of the project was over $1,200.

I did not consider regearing until the change to 35's. Many run stock gears with 35s but most of those live at lower elevations. If you live at 6,000' or more you will not be happy with stock gears and 35" tyres unless you have forced induction.

-B-

Last edited:
Good info guys :) THanks -B- for you all ways knowledgeable mind and application ;).

Dang that's way over my budget... Maybe in the coming years...

not that bad

Its really not that bad if you take the third members out your self, and take them to an axle shop for them to install the r/p gears. $200 for the labor and $400 for the r/p gears. As far as getting the thirds out there is maybe 40 nuts and bolts, one big socket you probably don't already have, and a lot of grease/oil. there are also step by step pictures around here. takes about 4 hours to get out the thirds, 3 days for the axle shop, and 4 hours to get them back in.
p

I was going to say ~$600 for the gears and labor if you pull the thirds yourself.
Of course that ignores a front axle rebuild and a variety of assorted little costs that can quickly add up.

I just got mine done,

Paid 800 and some change with shipping from JT's for gears and another 250 per third to get them installed. I also did a front and rear axle service "while I was in there". I'm running 35" with 4.88 and I like the combo alot!

-Juan

The 4.11 number applies to all gears? So swapping to 4.88 is going to involve the whole gearbox or whatever...?

"gearbox" refers to your transmission, in most cases. A "differential" is what you have in your front and rear axle housings. A "transfer case" is the thing that goes behind your transmission and sends power to the differentials. That little stick to the right of your transmission shifter is what operates the transfer case.

Hayes said:
I was going to say ~$600 for the gears and labor if you pull the thirds yourself.

$200 for the labor and $400 for the r/p gears.

You are both waaaaay low on these estimates. Zuk won't do both e-locker 3rds for $200 and I don't think you will find many experienced shops that will. My local shop charged $500 to do the R&P set up with me dropping off and picking up the 3rds.

You also cannot buy new, quality R&P gears with the install kits and new bearings for $400 for both front and rear. The last time that I checked the complete kits were $700 from justdifferentials.com and, IIRC, there is 1 bearing they don't sell and you have to get it from Cruiserdan at about $50.

So, $700 for the gears and $500 for the R&P install gets you to $1,200 pretty quick. Add the front axle kit, grease, diff fluid, F&R brake services, and all the other stuff "while yer in there" and this is not a $600 project.

-B-

Yeah, I am low, but not waaaaay low. I misspoke at $600, that get's you pretty close to the parts. The install cost obviously varies. $500 for the install and setup is about 4x what I paid to get my thirds done by an experienced installer.

No, not a $600 job. My bad.
Not necessarily a $1200 job, though. If you skipped the front end rebuild you could do the gears for <$900.

You are both waaaaay low on these estimates. Zuk won't do both e-locker 3rds for $200 and I don't think you will find many experienced shops that will. My local shop charged $500 to do the R&P set up with me dropping off and picking up the 3rds.

You also cannot buy new, quality R&P gears with the install kits and new bearings for $400 for both front and rear. The last time that I checked the complete kits were $700 from justdifferentials.com and, IIRC, there is 1 bearing they don't sell and you have to get it from Cruiserdan at about $50.

So, $700 for the gears and $500 for the R&P install gets you to $1,200 pretty quick. Add the front axle kit, grease, diff fluid, F&R brake services, and all the other stuff "while yer in there" and this is not a $600 project.

-B-

that's still way over my budget for now, but thanks for the info. I plan to carry this out once I have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom