Gears whining in tcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is very common for the T-case gears to whine in 40's. Just the nature of a gear driven T-case. Although, If there is any metallic in the fluid or it is extremely loud there may be an issue. I would suggest driving another FJ that is a similar year and checking your fluid. FYI, 3 speed t cases are usually louder than 4 speed cases.

It's probably whining because a thrust shim has broken.. mine is super loud and has a really loud clunk too.. gonna rebuild mine once the funds are available and will report back with the results

Lots of things can cause gear whine and none of them are good. They are all easy to fix. A little whine may be normal for used gears, so you have to ask how bad it is. Driving with a "normal" transfer case would give you a reference.

Whining Transfer Case

My experience with a whining T/C was not good. I bought the rig with the whine, not knowing if it was the transmission or T/C. Finally isolated the noise to the T/C. I pulled it out found all the gears to be in good condition. I used a rebuild kit and slapped it back together. The whine was the same............. ear plug type loud on the highway.

Then someone very credible suggested I might have a warped case. I bought another case (used), and transferred all of my gears, bearings, etc. into it.

That was 10 years ago, and the T/C has been fine.

One way to tell is if the whine changes as you go from accelerate to coast. If it changes pitch, chances are something is wobbling around in there.

One way to tell is if the whine changes as you go from accelerate to coast. If it changes pitch, chances are something is wobbling around in there.

Ever heard of a 'warped case'? My gears are known to be good and it was rebuilt recently before I bought it, but it's pretty loud. It's a 3-speed with a 4-speed conversion gear in it that's newer than the rest. The reason I even ask is that I have a spare case sitting around gathering dust.

No, but I have heard of cases stretching.
I have no personal experience with this; just the usual broken in two variety.

Eddy,

Did you see post # 6? I don't know if my old case was "warped" or "stretched", or whatever else could have happened. All I know is that the case looked good, but replacing it solved my noise problem.

The two times I've had the whine and clunk combo (different rigs) it was excessive wear on the thrust washers on the idler gear.

thanks guys....i need to find someone around with a 40 to make the comparison. In my area there are not many.

Basically at 40-50 mph it is louder than I think the general public would like and that's why I thinks it is screwy.

It all relative here though it seems like

I will have mine up in Uwharrie this next week if you can find some time to head over that way.

Ever heard of a 'warped case'? My gears are known to be good and it was rebuilt recently before I bought it, but it's pretty loud. It's a 3-speed with a 4-speed conversion gear in it that's newer than the rest. The reason I even ask is that I have a spare case sitting around gathering dust.
atazman said worked great both gave me an idea//looking for a case and a like year to ride in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom