Gearmaster Transfer Case Gears - Marks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was about to purchase a set of these to give a lower low and high ration for my 60. I have researched here and on the web and most people say that they are too noisy. Does anyone have any experience with these?

no they are not that noisey...... you will hear a slight bit more whine... but they will be worth it

I cant see why anyone would opt for those over a toybox, those gears are ridiculously expensive. Even after you do the driveshafts your still well ahead of the game.

I cant see why anyone would opt for those over a toybox, those gears are ridiculously expensive. Even after you do the driveshafts your still well ahead of the game.

A few reasons:
The toybox is a massive weak link in the system. The input shaft will become the "fuse" in the driveline

Install is a bit involved with lots of fabricating to do it right and make it easy to use

Longer lenght of tranny/TC/TC combo with very short rear shaft and very long ft shaft. Rear driveling angles can become severe; especially with SOA or large lift

I love the Toybox but it is not for everyone and, to me, is a 2nd or 3rd tier option. If I can get low gearing with a bascially stock set up why go through the time/money/hassle for the box when it introduces a weak link into the driveline?

Marks gears will run about 1k after you get the TC rebuild kit. No way you are doing a toybox for that.

A few reasons:

Marks gears will run about 1k after you get the TC rebuild kit. No way you are doing a toybox for that.

Is that a dealer price? (i.e. your price) AA has these listed for $1395, it does not say if there is a rebuild kit included, I doubt it.

Usually you can get a set retail for less than $900 or so if you call/look around.

I stand corrected, i had in mind that the toybox was a little cheaper. Guess i forgot the exchange rate.

So why is the input of the toybox a weak link? I was under the impression that it was a pretty stout unit.

I must admit, I have been intriqued by the Mark's gearset behind my H55. It isn't the super low of the Toy Box, but I could do 100% of the install myself. Then I'm over 60:1. Not ideal, but not bad either for $1000.

Is the Toybox "weak"? I know several guys with them and have never heard of a broken one. Pismo Jim's in particular, gets used hard and does the job.

I havnt heard of a single failure of a h42/toybox/split case yet. Doesnt mean it hasnt happened but I try to keep up on whats been holding up and what hasnt.

I think the fuse point would be multiple of other things before the input ever went...i.e. pinion, axle shafts, birfs, etc etc..The axle shaft would be seeing close to 200:1 and the further you go up stream the less gearing there is going on.

I understand installing the toy box is a great deal of work though, and is not for everyone.

pssst: lowtide don't need no steeeeken h42/toybox/split to bust sumpen...
jez let'em looz in alfer pit . . .

I've got the Marks gearset behind my H55 and other than a little bit more of a whine I like them. With stock diff gears (3.70) new 32X11.50s and the 1.08:1H ratio Marks gearset I do 70 MPH turning 2600 RPMs and 80 MPH around 3000 RPMs. I contacted Marks of Australia inquiring about transfering the gearset to an FJ-62 T-case and they said that there was a little modification (grinding) to the case that needs to be done before installing the gearset, but that it would work in the later case. Overall I like the gearset.

So why is the input of the toybox a weak link? I was under the impression that it was a pretty stout unit.
It's a smaller 10-spline shaft, instead of the large 19-spline that is stock. It's not necessarily weak, but it is weaker than stock.

I have had both, The Only reason I went to the toy box is that I wanted lower than the marks gearset could could give me. I am on My 2nd toybox( bearing failure on the 1st, but Marlin was great about replacing it no problems at all) If you have the room and think you might need more than 100: 1 go with the toybox, and if you have a V-8 stay with the 2.28 (marlin doesnt recomend the 4.7 with the V-8)

Marks Gears are noisy. At least my 0.8 ratio gears are. But, there is a cure. Heavier oil and some high quality sound insulation (lead & foam stuck onto the top of the T/C & trani. Bob

I have Marks underdrive set .. from 2 years or so .. noisy .. ? I don't think more than MT tires on the road ..

Toy Box or duble t-case are not for all .. not necesary in my case with 3.05:1 in low 4.56 R&P and 4.92 at firse not need more here .. but I'm not a rock crawler ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom