gearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what is the gearing for a 1985 fj60????if I get a locker for the rear I need to know??? are they all different???

The diff has 3.70 gears in it. It doesn't matter what the gears are for a locker.

But if you are going to do a ARB or Detroit you might consider changing the gears while you are there. If you are just doing a lunchbox type locker you can just toss it in.

stinkyfj60 said:
But if you are going to do a ARB or Detroit you might consider changing the gears while you are there. If you are just doing a lunchbox type locker you can just toss it in.

Stinky-
I see you have a lockright in your rig. I'm debating putting one in mine, but have been told about them being fairly "clunky" when they lock up and around corners if you speed up or slow down through the corner, they lock in with a bang every now and then.....
Is this all b.s.?
how do you find yours?

bajaman said:
Stinky-how do you find yours?

I love mine. It is quiet and doesnt give me any problems or loud clunks. In parking lots it does make a very loud clicking sound, same when popping a U. In turns it gets herky jerky when you let off the gas and then hit the gas in the middle of a turn. I find that if I coast through a turn or give positive throttle through the whole thing stops that.

Do a search there has been a couple of really good threads on ARB vs Lockrights...

My dad has a detroit, loves it. Been in his FJ40 for a few years now, mostly on pavement with NO problems at all. I dont know where he got it, but I think that MAF and all of them carry it, try Randy's Ring and Pinion too.

Its kinda of a matter of opinion.

Many folks love the ARB for its ability to locked or unlocked at the flip of a switch...but that comes with a significant price tag.

For what its worth I am running a Detroit at this time and am very happy. Many folks seem to use these units for years without a problem.

missyc said:
still confused, wtf is a Man-A-Fre

hey MissyC...dont take this personally, but youre not gonna learn EVERYTHING in one whack! use the "search" function on this board, and every other board you visit. you can basically teach yourself everything youll need to know by using that function. ie: lockers, lift, tires, sua vs soa, etc, etc...
another thing i would suggest, speaking from experience, is DON'T jump on everything you see/hear. research, research, research...THEN, research again. you dont want to get caught doing sumthn, that you wish you wouldnt have or vice-versa. just my 2c -other sean

PS www.man-a-fre.com is a company who specializes in landcruiser stuff.

Last edited:
hullender, thanks for the idea about searching, definately helps, theres a lot a chit on there

steve, nice site...thanks for posting

Steve-O said:
wtf is a man-a-fre? Thats probably the best thing I've read all morning. I agree with the sauce on this, everyone has their own opinion as to what is best, take everything you read as a personal opinion, and only pay attention to a little bit of it. wtf is a hullendersauce anyways?

thats funny! sorry to hijack, but this chef i used to work for in college, used to make fun of me for getting hollandaise/bernaise always mixed up. they deemed me as "hullendersauce" after that...

hullendersauce said:
thats funny! sorry to hijack, but this chef i used to work for in college, used to make fun of me for getting hollandaise/bernaise always mixed up. they deemed me as "hullendersauce" after that...

I want a sauce named after me. Sweet.

Missyc, your welcome, feel free to visit it anytime. We only carry the ARB, powertrax, and lock-right lockers however. I also just listed them in most expensive/best to least expensive/not best. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom