Gearing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello every one i would like to kno a bit more about gearing. right now i have 4:11 gears in my axles, and i am keeping the 3 speed original transmission. I am assuming that this would not do great at highway speeds am I correct? So I would like to know what gearing would be ideal for me. What do you think?

Every non-overdrive transmission out there has a final ratio of 1:1....Toyota 4-speeds and 3-speeds are identical, the 4-speed just makes for a much easier-driving tranny, having 2nd/3rd is much nicer in town for driving.

3.73 gears will kill your in-town enjoyment and set you back $$$

A fast/cheap/better (IMO) way to lower your RPM's on the highway (effectively a poor-man's overdrive) is to install 33x9.5 tires on the stock rims. No lift required, great look, and much cheaper than regearing.

What do you want to use the vehicle for?

Like Woody said - 33x9.5 tires on stock wheels are pretty sweet and give slight higer highway speeds but 4LO suffers as a result. 4.56 or 4.88 gears slow things down but highway speed suffer -

Orion or Toybox are the only real answers for best of both worlds gearing options

My rig had a three speed with 4:11's and 31 inch tires and would run all day long at 75 mph (but it was a white knuckle ride). Keep your drive train and go with the 33's

I have the 33X9.5 on mine and it will cruise down the road just fine at 60 MPH. Remember that the larger circumference of the tire means that the speedometer will read lower when traveling at freeway, or for that matter, any speed. I think that the 33x9.5 BFGs are the way to go if you are not doing serious off road stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom