Gearing back to factory 3.73 need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1982 60 series
I’m re gearing back to factory 3.73’s from the 4.88’s which used a crush sleeve. The 3.73 doesn’t accept a crush sleeve, I’m missing the (spacer/washer)The solid factory pinion shaft (spacer/washer) and shims got misplaced during our move. Does anyone have part numbers or a source for the these parts. Any info would be appreciated. Truck is up on the lift and needs to be finished soon.

Thanks in advance

Are they the original used OEM gears from 82? Post a picture of your pinion.
The early 1980’s gears have the “solid spacer” built into the pinion shaft and just use shims.
I did an 1982 HJ47 diff a few months ago with that.

Are they the original used OEM gears from 82? Post a picture of your pinion.
The early 1980’s gears have the “solid spacer” built into the pinion shaft and just use shims.
I did an 1982 HJ47 diff a few months ago with that.
Yea you’re right, trying to figure which adjusting washer to order(tolerances). Multiple choices since I don’t have original one to spec.

Yea you’re right, trying to figure which adjusting washer to order(tolerances). Multiple choices since I don’t have original one to spec.

28D5AC17-7B3F-420D-9148-C4FEAADDB123.jpeg

If you have nothing to start with, I would get the smallest size of the big shim, and every size of the thin shim. Easy to add a few thin shims then try to take material off that thick shim if you don't have surface grinder with a mag chuck.

All those shims are setting is pinion preload.
If you don't know what that means it's time to put down the gears and start studying or find a gear shop.

If you have nothing to start with, I would get the smallest size of the big shim, and every size of the thin shim. Easy to add a few thin shims then try to take material off that thick shim if you don't have surface grinder with a mag chuck.

All those shims are setting is pinion preload.
If you don't know what that means it's time to put down the gears and start studying or find a gear shop.

Pinion preload understood ;) haha. I was just trying to find the closest factory tolerance for the thicker washer that came with my 60. I’ll go the route of your suggestion. Thank you for your help.

Pinion preload understood ;) haha. I was just trying to find the closest factory tolerance for the thicker washer that came with my 60. I’ll go the route of your suggestion. Thank you for your help.

You need to assemble, torque it down, and spin and see. no other way around that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom