Gearbox fault and a knock - or one fault ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys - so much information on this forum but sometimes too much 🙈

I've got a 2002 100 series with the 4.2 diesel that seems to have developed this fault (or it was there at the start of the year when I got it but have only recently started to notice it).

The main fault seems to be that when I start the engine in the morning and put it into gear (drive or reverse) there is no movement in any direction for a good few seconds almost like it's still in neutral.

No funny noises or anything and then it just jolts into gear and then it's fine. Park it up for a bit and it might be a second or two without drive.

Second part is that it seems when the vehicle speed is increasing and engine speed is not (lifting off on a downhill road or very light throttle on a flat almost coasting) there is a jolt. It's the same jolt as described with the gearbox finally getting drive as above.

I'm not sure if the jolt is linked to the actual fault or more of a consequence of a fault but I was wondering where I start with something like this.

I've checked for play in joints etc but I'm not really sure what's normal movement and what's not really as I'm more use to cars not 4wd, propshafts, universal joints etc 😬

Check fluid level and condition first. If that looks ok (clean, red, no rancid or burning smell), then probably a bad shift solenoid or stuck valve in the valve body.

Fluid is checked with it at running temp after shifting through the gears with it still running ?

How would I check the solenoids etc ?

Fluid is checked with it at running temp after shifting through the gears with it still running ?

How would I check the solenoids etc ?
Yes - get it up to operating temp, shift through all the gears, then with trans in Park and engine running, check fluid level.

Failing solenoid should throw a code. But you’ll have to drop the trans pan to change solenoid.

Do you mean and engine warning light or it's something I will have to scan for ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom