gear swap w/ e-lockers (several pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be pretty short but I wanted to get some of this up. The front e-locker is essentially the same as the Taco so there is plenty of info out there. However, there is nothing that I was able to find in regards to setting up the rear with an e-locker.

Quick fill in...I went up north to Poser's (LCR4WD) to have him setup my gears. Steve is pretty well known in the 40 & 55 world and is wealth of knowledge when it comes to Toyota's, fabricating and so on.

To the meat and potatoes. The rear diff uses shims to setup the ring gear position and carrier bearing preload. Once Steve found this out a little drama ensued. It took a little while to get the sets of shims as there was not two full sets in the US. Yes, you can use the existing shims but you run the risk of it not being done to spec.

Steve, add in whatever you want or correct anything needed. I know you have some other pics as well.

This is a little info so when you're shelling out the Benjamin's you know what going on.

This first pic is of the 3rd member on the bench showing the reason why shims are required. With the shift fork outside the carrier there is no way to have a standard Toyota adjuster.
124-2417_IMG.jpg

This shot shows the shim installed.
124-2418_IMG.jpg

Shot of the rear locker assy
124-2425_IMG.jpg

Rear housing and shift fork
124-2426_IMG.jpg

A good shot showing how the shim is installed without the cap on. There are 23 different shim thicknesses that can be used for the setup.
124-2430_IMG.jpg

One last check of the pattern before it's done.
124-2432_IMG.jpg

Just a few random shots
124-2419_IMG.jpg

124-2420_IMG.jpg

diffence between 4.11 and 4.88 pinion
124-2427_IMG.jpg

:cheers:

Looks great! photos add alot!:cheers:

Nice stuff Kris. I want to pick your brain about the rear when I see ya tonight.

[stealing internet off of the highway is cool!]

Later.
-onur
Des Moines, IA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom