Gear shifter touching Cigarette lighter in 3rd gear. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone else have this problem?
My shifter rattles the cigarette lighter when im in 3rd gear I dont remember my other 60 having this problem and this would render my cig lighter plug useless if i wanted to plug something else into it.

You might want to check your transmission mount and perhaps motor mounts.

No, no...it is just the spontaneous electric transmission option kicking in. It keeps your shifting hand warm in the winter...

Tofu, I knew I count on you for some good ole wisdom.

Motor mounts look intact and the Tranny crossmember looks ok too. Not sure what could be causing this.
The cruiser drives good with no vibrations or wierd noises which would be indicative of the tranny or motor being out of alighment.
Any more ideas?

It is close on my 5 speed. It hits the cig. lighter part that pulls out? I put in an auxiliary outlet to plug stuff into in my trunk.

Looking at them will not tell you anything.

Have someone you trust with your life get in and start the rig while you are looking under it.

Have them rev the engine up a few times and look for flexing of the mounts.

If you don't have anybody your you trust with your life, crawl under the rig with a prybar and check the mounts yourself.

Motor mounts look intact and the Tranny crossmember looks ok too. Any more ideas?

It is close on my 5 speed. It hits the cig. lighter part that pulls out? I put in an auxiliary outlet to plug stuff into in my trunk.

Yeah! It Hits the part that pulls out, It dont push it in at all just causes it to rattle if im driving in 3rd gear and wasnt sure if it should be like that since i didnt remember my old 83 doing it. If i had an Aux (radar detector, cooler etc..) pluged in there it would hit it for sure.
Anyone have pics of thier shifter clearance in 3rd gear? That would be great to see how far off mine is.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks D'Animal much appreciated.
I will do what you suggested as well.

There is no play in the movement of the engine and trans forward and backward in the car only side to side.

I'd be looking at your dash because the cigarette lighter is mounted to a bezel that comes off then you unplug the cigarette lighter from the wiring and then the bezel comes off. Make sure the whole bezel is secured and that the cigarette lighter is installed correctly.

I still have 2 inches of clearance on my cig lite on my h55f ?????????
do you have the original lighter or is it extra long aftermarket>>>>>>?
Ill get a photo of mine tonite.

when I carry bulky items in the ps seat/footwell, touching either shifter makes hella noise. so, I keep stuff from touching the shifters....

if I have something plugged into the cig lighter....my 5speed shifter will just barely touch it in 3rd.

I will get some pics of mine tonight.

Mine is 2.5" - 3" from touching the power outlet while in third.
DSCF9624.JPG

Last edited:
If his front mounts are shot as in missing one half of them and the rear mounts are loose and the transmisison is sitting on top of them, it could pitch everything at a forward and downward angle.

Looking at the parallel between the radiator and the fan should be enought to see this much of an angle change.

There is no play in the movement of the engine and trans forward and backward in the car only side to side.

I'd be looking at your dash because the cigarette lighter is mounted to a bezel that comes off then you unplug the cigarette lighter from the wiring and then the bezel comes off. Make sure the whole bezel is secured and that the cigarette lighter is installed correctly.

Good call on the dash bezel being out of whack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom