gear shifter adjustment in fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my gear shift lever has a bit of play in it, and i want to tighten it up. from what i've been told, it's an issue of tightening the gear linkage, rather than a bushing issue (those are new).

the issue is that the gear shifter has to be pull one gear past the one you want it to go into. for instance, when i want to shift into drive, i pull the shifter down to 3 and can then push it back up into drive if i feel like it. to get it into 3, i pulled down to the 2 and can then push back up into the 3 slot.

can anyone tell me how to adjust the gear linkage under the car? i have a FSM but don't see this adjustment anywhere in it. help (and photos, of course) would be greatly appreciated.

mark

i wiggled under the car today and jiggled things around. i found the linkage under there, but nothing seemed loose just to the touch. should i loosen the bolts holding it together and retighten it?

There are two bushing and two grommets in the linkage down in the transmission tunnel. I replaced those along with the two bushing up in the shift lever itself, and cured a similar problem in my FJ62.

i wiggled under the car today and jiggled things around. i found the linkage under there, but nothing seemed loose just to the touch. should i loosen the bolts holding it together and retighten it?

Your kickdown cable may be the problem. Pop the hood and have someone watch it as you go through the gears. They can get streched, or sticky, with age.

my gear shift lever has a bit of play in it, and i want to tighten it up. from what i've been told, it's an issue of tightening the gear linkage, rather than a bushing issue (those are new).

the issue is that the gear shifter has to be pull one gear past the one you want it to go into. for instance, when i want to shift into drive, i pull the shifter down to 3 and can then push it back up into drive if i feel like it. to get it into 3, i pulled down to the 2 and can then push back up into the 3 slot.

can anyone tell me how to adjust the gear linkage under the car? i have a FSM but don't see this adjustment anywhere in it. help (and photos, of course) would be greatly appreciated.

mark
Mark, Were you able to fix this problem? I just started to have the same issue. there is no slop in the shifter and underneath feels tight.

Search for Cruisermatt's fix. He did some fancier hardware to remove the slop completely (side to side and linkage wise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom