Gear selector cover that fits FZJ80? Looking for something similar to Wheelskin cover for steering wheels. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_7192.jpg
IMG_7193.jpg

So I put on this Wheelskin cover for my steering wheel on my FZJ80 and its been great but I'm wondering if you guys could suggest anything similar that fits the FZJ80 for the gear selector? Preferably a cover that fits well of some kind but doesn't interfere with the usability of the selector.

Wheelskin does this perfectly for the steering wheels in my opinion. You just get the right size and stitch it on.

Take a look at this:

Not bad for $20. Any other suggestions out there? Maybe something I can stitch tighter? Or does no one make anything like that?

the only other option I’ve seen, besides the Solvefunction shift cover, is to remove the old leather on the shifter. It’s rubber underneath and looks better than shredded leather.

Last edited:
I made a pattern that worked well for me. Can get leather cheap at hobby lobby or goodwill.

20200223_194901.jpg

I made a pattern that worked well for me. Can get leather cheap at hobby lobby or goodwill.

View attachment 2495936
That guys has skills. If you’re gonna do that, no reason to use “cheap” leather though.

also thinking auto upholstery shop as mentioned. Got a steering wheel cover from these guys that was very nice. Talked to Kevin, who was a can do kind of guy if you tell him what you’re trying to do. His cell is 281-691-5028

Don’t know what the cost or effort would be compared to OEM replacement...

I did this a while back. Worked very well. Of you watch the ladies video I posted she also shows a technique to use super glue to make repairs.

@SoTexCruiserDoc The mini skirt from a 20 something was massaged and worked by the posterior position of the lady who donated it. Not saying it feels better in your hand.... ;).

For the steering wheel Hobby Lobby's remnant selection had some pieces large enough for the whole thing, that were real Italian leather. Not saying it is the best for a low maintenance solution on a vehicle, but it would be very hard to find leather this soft in your hands. However it does require some more regular conditioning. My stitching isn't very good so the GF is going to do a much better job on the 100 series than I did on the 80.

For the hundie, we are doing two town armrest, steering wheel and shifter to match. Only one color in the batch has the Italy sticker the rest I think is Colombia and Argentina. In short you can go very nice and expensive, but you can also get pretty nice and dramatic improvement without spending very much at all.

OldWheel.jpg

prettymuchthere.jpg

This is with the leather removed? Not a rubber replacement?
Exactly, and much preferable. This is how they came in rigs with clothe interior which also way outlasts leather.

Mine has the cloth/rubber combo, and that is still available new for like 1/3 of the cost of the leather shifter.

Mine has the cloth/rubber combo, and that is still available new for like 1/3 of the cost of the leather shifter.
I need to find that and throw it on the shelf!

Exactly, and much preferable. This is how they came in rigs with clothe interior which also way outlasts leather.
Next mod. I hate how worn mine looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom