Gear reduction starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to have to replace my dragging starter and I'd like to go with the Toyota Gear reduction starter. Will any starter fit any year? I've got a '74F and a half motor, but a three speed transmission . I think there is a difference in the 3speed and 4speed flywheels. Has anyone fitted the GRS to this old a motor? ??? ???

should fit all F/2f/3fe(I think), you will need to leave off the wire that goes from the alt to the coil/resitstor, all it does it give the coil 12volts when you 1st turn the key. I have a GR OEM starter in my 67 fj45 w/77 2 f, I left off the wire, I'm sure there is a way to rig up the wire but I couldn't figure it out.

I'm not even sure if you were to call Toyota and asked for a starter for a 74 if you they don't supsitute the GR started for the old syle. GR starter came in fj60 in 81, then 6/82 in fj40's.

With discount I think your looking at $140 for OEM Toyota.

and yes it spins MUCH faster.

part number for a OEM reman is
28100-60070-84

John

Hey thanks, John. I did call Toyota and there is a $30 core charge, but since I'm not trading in a like starter, they won't take it at all, so that adds to the cost. Just wasn't sure about the gearing between the two different flywheels, like if the teeth would match up. I've gone HEI, so I don't have to worry about the wire that bypasses the ballast resistor.
The dust cover is off my starter and always has been, so I think that is why it is dragging. Does it sometimes, not others and doesn't make any difference hot or cold.
Thanks,
Ed Long :)

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=5555;start=msg43823#msg43823 date=1064265760]
Hey thanks, John. I did call Toyota and there is a $30 core charge, but since I'm not trading in a like starter, they won't take it at all, so that adds to the cost. Just wasn't sure about the gearing between the two different flywheels, like if the teeth would match up. I've gone HEI, so I don't have to worry about the wire that bypasses the ballast resistor.
The dust cover is off my starter and always has been, so I think that is why it is dragging. Does it sometimes, not others and doesn't make any difference hot or cold.
Thanks,
Ed Long :)
[/quote]

they took my old non working non GR starter for a core, but then I have spent 4k+ on parts this year......I'm the number one non shop(and I beat out most shops) customer, they even deliever(and recieve other parts, from like Nix99) for me :)

Al my parts guy must call me my mistake at least once a week......while trying to call his wife instead......my number is the one he knows the best :)

Even went over to his house this weekend for a BBQ.....ummmm BBQ :)

John H

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=5555;start=msg43827#msg43827 date=1064266352]Al my parts guy must call me my mistake at least once a week......while trying to call his wife instead......my number is the one he knows the best :)[/quote]

I will vouch for that. Was in there today getting said starter (two days after looking at the started to see if it was a reman it dies :doh:). Any way, I told Al I had a FJ60 and a '72 FJ55 and he wrote Johns number on the back of his card with out pausing to remember it. Said "This guy has lots of parts, a good collection of Land Cruisers too", or something like that. Didn't get a discount though. :'(

[quote author=OlympiaFJ60 link=board=1;threadid=5555;start=msg43853#msg43853 date=1064270247]
I will vouch for that. Was in there today getting said starter (two days after looking at the started to see if it was a reman it dies :doh:). Any way, I told Al I had a FJ60 and a '72 FJ55 and he wrote Johns number on the back of his card with out pausing to remember it. Said "This guy has lots of parts, a good collection of Land Cruisers too", or something like that. Didn't get a discount though. :'(
[/quote]

LOL.......I get a few calls each week from someone Al gave my number too, its allright with me :)

Well for a discount you must call(or email)me 1st then I will have Al run the parts under my account, so you get the discount(it's at least 20% and might be 25%....I don't even look anymore) Titus doesn't have a TLCA discount but I do and all local Cruiserheads are welcome too use it, just let me know and I'll give Al the AOK. Al only works will 2pm so you need to catch him before then, he calls me almost everyday at 7am(he get in at 6am).......just to BS half the time

Same thing at the local parts store, without me even asking they give me 25% off now, Fleet Discount :D

Ask for Craven Morehead.......thats what Al goes by ;)

John H

I've gone into see Al and mentioned John's name. Al then gives me the good guy rate. I've been very pleased with TW. Al's very knowlegible and not afraid to say he doesn't know something (which is rare). I need a GR starter now and probably will get it from TW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom